Chapter 17

Scarlett.

"You remember what we said?" My voice is so throaty, it almost cracks. I don';t know what just happened, but I know it was wrong and dangerous.

I know what he is trying to do. Trying so hard to hide how his hand flexes, or how his eyes apparently darken when they meet mine. I know these tricks. I have seen them before.

I won't fall for these tricks, I can't. I have one thing I want and I'll get it and it is this job. I won't let another man take everything from me just because he wants to have fun and see if I'll be fitting for his picture-perfect family or not. I won't let another man control me just because he looks good in a suit and smiles warmly at me, like he's doing right now.

"Yes!" His extravagantly exhausted eye roll does nothing to change my mind on repeating everything with him. We have decided on having a story near the truth, so it would be easy to remember, not many lies told and we won't have too different stories to tell.

We decided that we would tell the truth about how we met. A year ago, through Addie and Aaron. Although we met at the end of the season, we'll say we met at the beginning. We didn't like each other but Joey liked me. We all started hanging out together and through this whole year we realized that our dislike for each other is actually sexual tension. So we did it a couple of times just to get it out of our systems, then we fell in love. We became a family, and he just proposed after new year's when I had just come home from work, even though I wasn't scheduled to work.

See, great love story.

"Remember-"

"Yes, yes. Everything is close to the truth, least amount of lying. She disliked each other not hate, because it won't be believable to change all that hate in a couple of months. Got it."

"And, the details-"

"You had many moments with Joey that made me fall for you and you feel for my dick and how good it makes you feel. I got it!"

"Ugh, That is disgusting. I will never sleep with you, Hawks, not if you were the last person on earth." He gives me a cheeky smile and I know he'll give me a smart ass reply that will infuriate me, so I just cut him off. "I fell because you supported me the past year when it was the most important year of my career, that build up to the..."

I wait for him to say it.

He just stares at me and doesn't say anything...Come on! I said it a million times.

"Hawks!"

"The chief of peds, red. I remember it, you said it a million times."

"Then why did you not answer me!" I hissed while he finally snapped out of whatever this is.

"Maybe I got lost in your scary cat-like green eyes, or maybe I just want to make you anger...or maybe-"

"Shut up."

He chuckles and opens the door for JJ, who has been making faces through the window this whole time. She is the cutest.

We walk together to the front door, Joey holding my hands and skipping with the largest smile on her face. I like her happiness. I'd like to see her always happy.

"Don't slap me this time." Joshua whispers in my ear.

"Wha-" Before I could say anything, his arm snuck around my waist and held me tight to him. He rings the doorbell and secures me next to him. I can not move, I do not know how to get out of his unyielding hold.

I hiss into his ear leaving a visible trail of shiver on his neck...that is interesting. "Let go of me."

"No, sweetheart. You are my fiance. That is how I hold my fiance." He winks and smiles his cheeky smile, while the door opens.