Chapter 17: The protective gesture

Emir and Reyhan reached home, and as Reyhan entered, she noticed the messy living room with snacks scattered, numerous bottles of whiskey and wine, and cigarette butts. Emir, feeling embarrassed, anticipated her questions about the chaotic state of the living room.

However, instead of addressing the mess, Reyhan turned to Emir and calmly asked, "What would you like to have for dinner?" Emir, still a bit lost, replied, "What?" Reyhan clarified, "Dinner?" Emir, catching up, said, "Oh, dinner. There's packed food in the fridge. Reheat it in the microwave and eat."

Reyhan, realizing that Emir might have been indulging in the snacks and drinks, asked, "You were having all this all along?" Emir, somewhat caught off guard, suggested, "Do you want something from outside? Let's go out." Reyhan, however, insisted, "No, I will prepare something." Emir smiled, appreciating Reyhan's willingness to take charge of the situation.

After some time, Reyhan served hot soup to Emir, who smiled and asked, "Where's the bread?" Reyhan, concerned, replied, "You should have something light as you're on medication." Emir couldn't help but think, "That means Reyhan knew about my accident. Obviously, Zara informed her. What was I keeping so much expectations for?"

Reyhan, breaking the silence, asked, "How's the soup?" Emir faintly smiled and said, "Nice," appreciating the effort Reyhan had put into preparing a comforting meal for him. The unspoken emotions lingered between them, creating a moment of shared understanding.

Emir, breaking the silence, asked Reyhan, "Why did you come here?" Reyhan hesitated, trying to find the right words, and finally said, "Actually, I... I..."

Emir, interrupting, said, "Maybe I know why you're here." Reyhan, shocked, blushingly looked at him. Emir continued, "For divorce, right?" His words pierced Reyhan's heart deeply. Emir added, "You didn't have to come here so far just for a divorce. A call or a text would have been enough."

Reyhan, hurt by his words, watched as Emir wiped his mouth and said, "Thanks for the dinner. I hope you get what you're here for." With that, Emir left. Reyhan started crying as he walked away, looking at his empty plate, the pain of their encounter weighing heavily on her.

Then the doorbell rang, and Reyhan, wiping her tears and maintaining composure, stood up to open the door. As she opened it, she found Esra on the other side. Esra's expressions turned rude, and she bluntly said, "I'm here to meet Emir. Would you give me space, please?"

Reyhan, already hurt, gave her side, allowing Esra to pass. Esra proceeded directly to Emir's room, leaving Reyhan standing there.

Emir in his room emerged from the bathroom, wiping his wet hair. As he stood in front of the mirror, he realized his bandages on the chest and abdomen had started bleeding again. Frustrated, he exclaimed, "Not again," and removed his T-shirt to inspect the wounds.

Esra entered the room, witnessing Emir struggling with the bandages. Concerned, she said, "Emir, don't remove them like this; let me help you." Reyhan, entering the room, moved to Emir's side and said, "Esra, you don't have to worry. I'm here; I will do that." Emir looked at Reyhan, feeling a strange connection with her actions.

Reyhan then requested, "Esra, would you wait outside, please?" Frustrated, Esra left the room. Reyhan picked up the first aid box and began removing Emir's bandages. As he winced in pain, Reyhan's expressions mirrored his discomfort. She advised, "Emir, you should avoid taking a bath to avoid direct contact with water." Emir sighed, and Reyhan continued the bandaging, saying, "It's done."

As Emir moved to leave, Reyhan stopped him and reminded, "Your T-shirt." (A protective gesture from her not wanting Esra to see Emir without shirt). Emir turned back, picked up his T-shirt, and left the room. Their shared moment reflected an unspoken understanding between them.

At night, Emir feeling tired, returned to the room and laid on the bed. Just then, Reyhan came from the bathroom, took some steps, and laid beside him. Sensing her presence, Emir looked at her in surprise. Reyhan was looking at him.

Emir, puzzled, said, "Reyhan?" Reyhan calmly replied, "What?" Emir, seeking clarification, asked, "You will sleep here... beside me?" Reyhan assured him, saying, "Of course." Emir laid back, looking at the ceiling, and put his hand over his heart, feeling it beat faster.

In his thoughts, Emir said, "I'm not understanding what this girl wants. But surely, she will take my heart out if she continues to be like this for few more days."

In the morning, Emir woke up, removed his blanket, and looked at the bedsheet that still held the impression of where Reyhan had slept last night. He smiled and ran his fingers through it, relishing the moment. After a moment, he stood up and went out, finding Reyhan in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

Emir's expressions turned serious as he said, "Reyhan, you don't have to do all this. I'm sure you're not here for this." Reyhan left her work and reached out to Emir, saying, "How do you know what I'm here for?" Emir, maintaining his seriousness, said, "Okay, I don't know. Tell me so that I can prepare myself and not get addicted to this homely treatment from you."

Reyhan, frustrated, responded, "Emir, not everything needs words to be expressed." She then turned and went back into the kitchen, leaving Emir standing there, contemplating her words and the unspoken dynamics between them.

After some time, Emir was sitting on the couch, watching TV and getting bored. Reyhan noticed his restlessness, reached out to him, and said, "Emir, I need to buy some groceries." Frustrated, Emir replied, "Then what should I do?" Reyhan, with a determined expression, said, "Stand up. We need to go shopping..."