Chapter 31: "Can't lose you"

In her room, Zehra watched the video from yesterday repeatedly on her phone, hoping to find clues about what transpired between Emir and Reyhan. She played and paused the video repeatedly, trying to discern any clues about what transpired between Emir and Reyhan. As she reviewed the footage, her attention honed in on Emir's reaction upon seeing Reyhan and Selim together.

Her suspicions confirmed, she mumbled to herself, "Why did Emir get so affected by this? He's so practical, not like those stereotypical men." Joining all the dots, Zehra concluded, "Is it about..."

In the morning, everyone gathered at the breakfast table, but Emir remained lost in his thoughts, seemingly preoccupied. Reyhan, trying to break through his reverie, served him something, but his attention lingered elsewhere. The atmosphere tensed when Zehra asked, "Emir, can you transfer some balance to my account?"

Emir, still absorbed in his thoughts, responded, "Yes, sure, Mom. But I recently transferred some amount." Zehra, with an air of urgency, insisted, "Emir, I need it. That's why I'm asking." Emir, feeling the tension rise, asked, "Okay, Mom, why are you getting so angry?" Zehra, trying to calm herself down, hesitated before revealing, "No, Emir, I'm sorry, but... your dad..."

Emir's expression shifted to fury, and he snapped, "Dad? What does that man want from us now?" Zehra, attempting to diffuse the situation, pleaded, "No, Emir, please calm down. I got a call from his secretary that he's unwell. So I wanted to give him some money for the treatment."

Emir, not holding back his anger, retorted, "Mom, are you even thinking before talking? That was the same man who left all of us, and whatever he's facing now is the result of his own actions. Because of that man, my life is getting affected, My whole childhood got destroyed.. even till now I'm fighting with the demons which he created in my mind, but you don't even care, Mom. I'm suffocating inside with each passing day."

With that, Emir furiously stood up and left the table. Reyhan, sensing his distress, followed him.

Furiously walking towards his car, Emir was followed closely by Reyhan. He sat in the car and instructed the driver, "To the office." Unexpectedly, Reyhan entered from the opposite side. Emir, looking at her with a mixture of confusion and frustration.

Attempting to ease his anger, Reyhan gently placed her hands around his arm and rested her head on his shoulder. Emir, still looking at her, requested the driver, "Can you go outside for a while?" The driver complied, leaving them alone in the car.. Reyhan, in a tender attempt to ease his anger, spoke softly, "Emir, I can understand what you're going through right now, but I can't see you in this condition."

Emir, resisting the emotional moment, said, "Reyhan, please don't..." Reyhan lovingly kissed his shoulder and expressed, "I want my husband back." Emir, softened by her gesture, said, "Reyhan..." She interrupted, resting her head on his shoulder, insisting, "No, today you will spend your whole day with me."

Emir, smiled and said, "Reyhan, don't behave like kids." Reyhan replied, "I don't know, I want to spend time with my husband." Emir, softened by her words, smiled and put his hand over hers on his arm.

Emir said, "Today, it's not possible. I'm busy, but you can join me at the office." Reyhan, curious, asked, "What office?" Emir replied, "I have 2-3 meetings. After that, we can go somewhere out." Reyhan smiled and agreed, saying, "Okay, as you say."

As they entered Emir's cabin, they found Selim already waiting for them. Selim turned and smiled, triggering Emir's internal frustration. Maintaining a facade of civility, Emir greeted Selim. However, his jealousy intensified as Selim engaged in conversation with Reyhan.

A worker brought coffee for them, presenting two cups. Handing one cup to Reyhan and the other to Selim. Emir, growing more frustrated, swiftly took Reyhan's cup and sipped from it, thinking that Selim would mock him as in his own office he didn't get a coffee. Reyhan, looking at him strangely, received the cup back. Emir, handing it to her, said, "Now you can have it." Selim, observing the exchange, looked at both Reyhan and Emir with a sense of curiosity and confusion.

Emir, with a forced smile, addressed Selim, "You here?" Selim explained, "Yes, actually, Zara, your sister, called me. She needs my help to create a team for this project. She didn't reach till now so, I decided to wait for you in your cabin." Emir, with a forced smile, nodded in acknowledgment.

Turning to Reyhan, Emir said, "Okay, my love. You wait here for a while; I will be back." While Selim was watching, Emir kissed Reyhan on her cheek, creating an awkward atmosphere. Selim, feeling uncomfortable, witnessed the display of affection between the couple. Reyhan, trying to maintain composure, felt a mix of shyness and awkwardness in front of Selim.

Emir, bidding farewell, said, "Bye, my love." Reyhan, maintaining her composed demeanor, responded, "Bye," as Emir left, leaving Selim and Reyhan exchanging awkward glances.

After some time, Emir reached outside his cabin and saw through the glass that Zara, Reyhan, and Selim working together, laughing and enjoying each other's company. Witnessing the scene, Emir couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy. He muttered to himself, "This Selim was already behind my wife, now he included my sister too. And why these two are laughing at his joke. What special joke has he cracked?"

Then Emir's expression turned serious as he looked at Reyhan. He said, "Reyhan, I know you love me so much, but please, be always with me like this. Be loyal and honest to me. I know this may sound weird, but I can't handle one more person leaving me in my life whom I loved the most."

His voice carried the weight of vulnerability as he continued, "I never ever had fear of losing anything in my life, just as I'm scared of losing you. I love you, Reyhan. You're the first love of my life, but as it is said, when you love someone wholeheartedly, you have a fear of losing them. Please don't let my heart break. Don't let my trust break ever."