Chapter 62: Emotional burden

Emir gently took Reyhan's hand into his own and spoke earnestly, "Reyhan, I don't know what's running in your mind, but I really want to take Esra's custody. I want us to be parents. It will be so good for her to have a happy place and a wonderful family."

Overwhelmed by his words, Reyhan shouted, "Emir, please!" She quickly regained composure and said, "It's not right."

Emir, confused, questioned, "Why is it not right?" Reyhan, avoiding eye contact, stood up, and with a heavy heart, she admitted, "Emir, it's not that simple. I don't want to be a mother right now. I can't take this responsibility."

Emir struggled to stand up, followed her, and firmly asked, "What do you mean, Reyhan? What if by any chance you were expecting at this moment then what would you have done?" Reyhan continued to ignore eye contact, Emir hardly held her arm and urgently said, "Tell me, Reyhan. I'm asking you something."

Reyhan got frustrated, she moved her arm from his grip and said, "I don't know, Emir!" Tears welled up, and she continued, "Please, don't ask me something... please." Emir's expression softened, and he gently said, "Reyhan, look at me. What happened, huh?" While wiping away her tears, he continued, "What happened that day when Yiğit took you with him?"

Reyhan, shocked, stammered, "You.. you knew about that?" Emir nodded, concern evident in his eyes. "What did he say to you, Reyhan?" he inquired. Reyhan, still in shock, struggled to find words. Emir urged, "Please, Reyhan, say something. I'm worried about you. I want to know what he did to you."

Just then, Cansu knocked at the door, interrupting the intense moment between Emir and Reyhan.

As Reyhan opened the door, Cansu entered with baby Esra in her arms, saying, "Reyhan, can you please take care of her tonight? Zara and Can are out for dinner, and she's been crying continuously." Reyhan hesitantly extended her arms, nodding in agreement.

Then, Cansu left, and Emir smiled warmly as he observed Esra in Reyhan's embrace. After some time, the baby's cries subsided. Emir remarked, "Look, Reyhan, she loves you. That's why she stopped crying when she came into your embrace. I think she loves your fragrance, just like me."

Reyhan, with a heavy heart, faintly smiled and carefully took baby Esra to the bed. With baby Esra nestled between Reyhan and Emir on the bed, Emir turned towards them, his face lit up with a genuine smile. In that moment, he thought, "Reyhan, I can't tell you how happy I am to see us like this - like a family."

Reyhan observed Emir's smile, thinking, "I wish, Emir, I could give you what you want. You want to be a parent to Esra, but I'm helpless right now. I want to keep you safe. All I want is your happiness in the future too. If you keep loving me like this, you will gain attachment to me even more. You need to detach yourself from me. I don't want you to suffer because of me."

In the morning, Emir sat on the bed and received a call from his mother, Zehra. Her concerned voice echoed through the phone, "My dear, I'm out of town right now. I'm really worried. I'm coming to you right away."

Emir reassured her, "Mom, I'm okay. You please complete your work there." Zehra insisted, "Okay, but I'm sending a nurse to take care of you until you get well properly."

Emir, wanting to avoid unnecessary intrusion, responded, "Mom, I don't need anyone. Reyhan is here, and I-" Zehra interrupted sharply, "Don't take her name in front of me. Also, she's not a medical expert, so please let me handle things on my behalf."

Now, A young and beautiful girl, Ayşe, arrived at the Polat House. She inquired, "Zehra ma'am sent me to take care of Emir Sir. May I know where he is?" Ayla guided her to Emir's room, and after a knock, She introduced herself to Emir by saying, "Hello, I'm Ayşe. I will be taking care of you." Emir smiled and replied, "Welcome, nice to meet you."

Ayşe entered, carrying a medical box, and said, "Let me examine your wounds. After that, I will need your reports and medicines to analyze your current recovery." Emir nodded in agreement. As Ayşe prepared to examine him, Emir hesitantly started unbuttoning his shirt, visibly uncomfortable in her presence.

Sitting beside him, Ayşe proceeded with the examination, maintaining a professional demeanor as she focused on her task, while Emir was looking hesitant on being attended by a new caregiver.

Then, Reyhan entered the room, her gaze focused on Ayşe, sitting close to Emir. She observed Emir looking away, clearly uncomfortable. Reyhan firmly addressed Ayşe, "So, you're the new caregiver?" Ayşe nodded in acknowledgment.

Reyhan continued, "Actually, whenever you come to examine Emir, do call me to be present at the moment." Ayşe looked at her strangely. Emir, witnessing Reyhan's protective behavior, couldn't help but smile, appreciating the concern and connection between them.

As Ayşe continued to delicately bandage Emir's wounds, Reyhan sat on the other side of the bed, watching him with concern etched on her face. Emir, sensing her worry, smiled and reached out to hold her hand.

Ayşe, while working, noticed their intertwined hands but continued with her work, professionally attending Emir's injuries. After finishing, she stood up and informed, "It's done, Emir Sir." Emir, still holding Reyhan's hand, responded, "Okay. I will call you if I need anything."

Ayşe, with a respectful tone, stated, "Emir Sir, I will be staying here, as Mrs. Zehra commanded."

Reyhan, surprisingly, voiced her concern, "But we have no space here. We can't let her stay here, Emir." Emir agreed, "Yes, it is a matter of concern. I think we should move back to Tarhun House." Reyhan hesitated, expressing her worry, "But Emir, your safety..."

Emir tightened his grip on her hand, reassuringly saying, "We will increase the security, don't worry." Emir then looked at Ayşe and instructed, "You may sit outside." As Ayşe moved out, Emir added from behind, "Please close the door." Ayşe, looking hesitant, closed the door.

Emir, looking at Reyhan, said, "So..." Reyhan inquired, "What?" Emir gently took her hand and placed it on his chest, saying, "Did you feel that? Reyhan hesitantly asked, "What?" Emir responded, "Your name in every heartbeat." Then, Emir leaned in, cupping her face, and whispered, "Your name echoes in every heartbeat." Reyhan, nervously, uttered, "Emir..." He hushed her, saying, "Shhh..." then tenderly placed kisses on her cheeks. Reyhan closed her eyes. Then Emir, attempted to hug her, but Reyhan quickly expressed concern, "Emir, your bandages might move." Emir continued to embrace her, assuring, "Your hug can never hurt me. It always heals me."

As Reyhan and Emir were wrapped in a tight embrace, Ayşe, standing near the window looking at them. Her gaze added to the suspicion about her intentions, entering their lives.

Then, Emir leaned in for a kiss, but Reyhan gently stopped him, saying, "Emir.. I don't think it's the right time.. you were uncomfortable just a minute ago." Emir smiled and replied, "Actually, I'm shy in front of other girls, but in front of you, I'm not shy anymore." Emir continued to lean in making their connection stronger.

In an unexpected turn, Reyhan suddenly pushed Emir away, leaving him surprised and looking at her with confusion. Reyhan, in shock, stood at a distance. Concerned, Emir asked, "What happened, Reyhan? Did I do something wrong?" Reyhan remained silent, and Emir continued, "Reyhan, I'm sorry if I behaved or made you feel uncomfortable in any way." Despite Emir's apology, Reyhan didn't say anything and quietly moved out of the room, leaving a lingering sense of tension behind.

Reyhan ran to a quieter corner of the house, tears streaming down her face. Reyhan whispered to herself, "I need to do something as soon as possible. I can't delay it." Then, in the quiet of the night, she began packing her bags without letting anyone know. Carefully folding her clothes. Then she took their wedding picture frame from the bedside table and placed it in her bag.

With tears streaming down her face, Reyhan uttered, "Emir, I'm so sorry that I have to do this. I can't see you hurting and suffering if anything happens to me. So, it's better if I detach myself from this relationship so that you won't feel much pain. I know how much you love me - the man who can arrange a team of doctors on a single scratch on my body. How will he be able to handle that biggest threat in my life? I'm sorry, Emir. I have to do this, for you, for both of us."