Chapter 18: Emir's distant behaviour

Reyhan, with a determined expression, said, "Stand up. We need to go shopping." Emir resisted, saying, "I'm not going anywhere."

Reyhan, using a persuasive tactic, added, "If I go alone, you know you'll have to come after me if I get lost." Emir sighed and reluctantly agreed, "Okay, fine. Let's go." Reyhan smiled at her clever move, successfully convincing Emir to join her for the shopping trip.

Emir and Reyhan walked on the street like a husband and wife, with Emir holding the shopping bags and Reyhan walking behind him. As they returned home, Emir, tired, sat on the couch, and Reyhan joined him. Just then, the doorbell rang, and Emir went to open it.

Esra arrived and directly questioned Emir, "Emir, what were you doing? Roaming around, going on a shopping with her? I think you forgot what she had done to you, how she never bothered to visit you when you were fighting for your life in the hospital."
Emir tried to calm the situation, saying, "Esra, calm down.

Esra angrily replied, "What are you fearing? Reyhan is just here; let her hear what she has done." Reyhan, angry but silent, observed the confrontation. Emir continued, "Esra, this is getting too much. I know how to handle this situation." Esra accused, "Emir, Actually the thing is that you don't have the guts to stand against this woman who ruined your life, made your life hell because you're blind in her love."

Emir, looking at Reyhan hesitantly, said, "Esra, we will talk later. Please calm down." Reyhan, shocked by the revelation of Emir's feelings, stayed silent, absorbing the intensity of the situation.

Esra angrily left the house, leaving Emir and Reyhan alone. The atmosphere was charged with tension as both exchanged awkward glances. Emir turned towards Reyhan and said, "Reyhan, we are leaving for Istanbul tonight." His words echo in the room.

Reyhan, shocked to hear such abrupt words, looked at him in disbelief. Emir continued, "I can't continue with this. Just pack everything, and we are leaving today." With that, he left the room, leaving Reyhan standing, hurt by his words, and grappling with the sudden turn of events.

As the flight landed, Emir and Reyhan Now in Istanbul, sitting in the cab. Emir was visibly angry and upset. Reyhan, sensing his distant behavior, asked, "Where are we going?" Emir coldly replied, "You're going back to Polat House." Reyhan felt hurt by his words and, gathering courage, said, "Emir, I wanted to say something, actually. That day when you were in the hospital..." Emir cut her off, saying, "I don't want to hear anything. Just let it be." Reyhan became silent, and the tension in the cab lingered as they continued their journey in strained silence.

Emir's phone rang, and it was Zehra calling. Emir answered, saying, "Yes, Mom." As he spoke on the phone, he glanced at Reyhan and continued, "Yes, Mom, I have talked to the lawyer." Reyhan, thought that Emir was discussing their divorce, felt upset. The car stopped outside Polat House. Without wasting a second, Reyhan swiftly exited the cab to hide her emotions and tears, letting them flow silently.

Emir, stepping out, unloaded her baggage and placed his hand on her shoulder. Reyhan looked at him with teary eyes, and Emir observed her emotions. Then, maintaining composure, he said, "So from now on, our paths will never cross." Overwhelmed with emotions, Reyhan stammered, "Emir..." He stopped and looked at her. Reyhan, with sincerity, said, "Sometimes, we believe the things that are visible to us, but they are not true. I'm telling you because I have experienced it. I'm sorry, Emir I doubted your intentions."

Emir's expressions softened, and he nodded. Turning back to sit in the cab, he immediately wore his sunglasses.

Reyhan took steps toward Polat House and turned to look back at Emir. Emir averted his gaze. As Reyhan took a few more steps, Emir's emotional side was evident. Wiping them away, he instructed the driver to move on, leaving Reyhan standing with a mix of emotions, marking the painful separation between them.

Reyhan, already hurt from the emotional turmoil, reached Polat House. As she entered, she saw everyone gathered around Zara. Cansu exclaimed, "Congratulations, my dear," and Ayla added, "Congratulations to both of you on this new journey." Confused, Reyhan observed the joyful atmosphere. Zara approached Reyhan and hugged her, announcing, "Reyhan, you're going to be an aunt soon."

Reyhan's confusion turned into a genuine smile as Zara placed her hand on her belly. Reyhan reciprocated the hug and said, "Congratulations, my dear. Can and Zara, I'm so happy for both of you." Happiness and celebration filled the air in the Polat family, providing a brief respite from Reyhan's personal struggles.

In the night, Emir paced in his room, holding his phone, contemplating whether to call Reyhan. He muttered, "Should I call her? She was crying, but why was she crying, I didn't ask." As he was about to dial her number, he stopped abruptly, realizing, "No, I myself said that our paths will never cross again. What would she think? But she apologised for everything. Is it right to call her now?"

Simultaneously, in her room, Reyhan was deep in thought. She wondered, "Should I call Emir? If he had his night medicines, or if he was taking alcohol again." She reached towards her phone but hesitated, reminding herself, "But he said he wants divorce. Why would I call him?" The emotional turmoil echoed in both of their minds, creating a sense of distance despite the lingering connection.

Just then, Cansu knocked at Reyhan's room and said, "Reyhan?" Reyhan responded, "Yes, Mama." Cansu asked, "Can I have some time with my daughter?" Reyhan smiled and said, "Of course, Mama." Cansu sat on the bed, and Reyhan rested her head on her lap. Gently patting her head, Cansu said, "Reyhan, I know this is between you and Emir, but did meeting him go well? I mean, did you apologize to him?"