Chapter 30: Emir's fear

Zehra, with her intentions to dig up more asked, "Zara, do you know what happened between Emir and Reyhan?" Zara, seemingly nonchalant, replied, "Yes, after that speech, they must be having a fight. What's the big deal?" Zehra pressed further, "But you went there with them. Did you notice anything? I mean, what made Emir say such a thing?" Zara, displaying frustration, retorted, "How would I know what is cooking in Abi's head?"

Zehra, urging her daughter to be more perceptive, stated, "You're my daughter, but you never show your smartness. Zara, you should keep your eyes and ears open." Zara, expressing frustration with a glance. Zehra again questioned, "Did you people meet some new person or something different happened at the event?" Zara hesitated before revealing, "Yes, we met Selim Kutsal."

Zehra raised her eyebrows at the mention of Selim Kutsal. She inquired, "Selim Kutsal?" Zara explained, "He's the new partner of our company. Also, he's Reyhan's childhood friend from school. Abi was a bit upset on seeing his closeness with Reyhan." Zehra, connecting the dots, nodded, "Reyhan's childhood friend." Impressed, she praised Zara, "Now you're like my daughter-active and smart." Zara, once again frustrated, gave an exasperated expression in response to her mother's compliment.

In the office, Emir approached Zara with a request. "Zara, can you help me with something?" Zara nodded in acknowledgment. Emir continued, "Actually, I have back-to-back meetings today, so can you visit the factory on my behalf? The supervisors are coming for sample collection, and one of us should be there."

Zara, with a reassuring smile, replied, "No worries, Abi. I will handle it. You go, I will manage everything." Emir smiled appreciatively, placing his hand on her head in a gesture of gratitude.

In their bedroom, Reyhan sat alone, replaying the moments from the previous night when Emir lovingly covered her with a shawl. The warmth of that gesture contrasted sharply with his public statement at the event, declaring himself as single.

With a determined look in her eyes, Reyhan whispered to herself, "Emir, there's definitely something that made your behavior suddenly change. I will definitely try to find out."

In the bustling factory, Can spotted Zara and couldn't resist reaching out to her. He gently held her arm, making her turn to face him. Zara, initially lost in the unexpected eye contact, quickly realized the situation and grew surprised.

Angrily, Zara asked, "What are you doing here? Leave my hand." Can, undeterred, spoke softly, "Zara, it's been so many months. I haven't seen you. How are you?" Zara's frustration surfaced as she snapped, "Leave my hand!" Can, sensing the bitterness in her words, gently released her arm.

Zara, still perturbed, questioned, "What are you doing here?" Can, keeping his calm, explained, "I came here as a supervisor to collect samples." Zara, with a hint of sarcasm, remarked, "Ohh okay... so you work with Selim Kutsal." Can, curious, ask, "You know him?" Zara, guarded, replied, "Why would I tell you?"

Can, undeterred, stated, "Okay, do whatever you want. But you can't hide the love between us." Zara, with a cold tone, asserted, "What love? Our love died with our child." Can, struck by the harsh reality, pleaded, "Don't say that, Zara. That was my baby too. If you were his mother, then I was his father. How can you say such things so easily, as if I had nothing to do with that baby?"

Zara, resolute, responded, "Can, you already did what you thought was right, and now I'm on my way to move on." Can, determined to hold on, argued, "Move on? We are still married. If you choose to stay at your maternal house, it doesn't mean our marriage has ended. You're still my wife, Zara."

In the evening, Emir, visibly exhausted, returned to his bedroom, throwing his bag on the bed. His fatigue was evident as he laid down, overwhelmed by a pounding headache, and placed his hand on his head. Just then, a comforting hand began massaging his head. Emir opened his eyes to find Reyhan by his side.

Their eyes met, and Reyhan gestured for him to lay back. Emir complied, and Reyhan continued to massage his head, her touch easing the tension. Emir, feeling a sense of solace, held Reyhan's hand to stop her and softly looked at her.

Sensing his unspoken need, Reyhan shifted, allowing Emir to rest his head on her lap. She gently moved her fingers through his hair, providing a soothing touch. Emir, overwhelmed, uttered, "Reyhan, I'm sorry." Reyhan smiled, understanding his unspoken struggles, and gently kissed his forehead.

Emir, while resting in Reyhan's lap, was suddenly overwhelmed by the visions of Reyhan with Selim. The haunting images pierced through him, and he instinctively held her tightly in his arms. Tears streamed down his face as he pleaded, "Reyhan, please don't leave me. I can't live without you. I'm nothing without you. I'm scared, scared of losing you. Promise me you won't leave me."

Reyhan, confused and concerned, tried to calm him down, gently saying, "Emir, look at me... Shhh... nothing happened. Look, I'm right here with you." Emir, still gripped by fear, expressed, "But I'm scared... I'm..." In a swift motion, he moved up, hugging her tightly as if assuring her with him. Reyhan, still puzzled by the sudden change in his demeanor, gently caressed his back, trying to soothe him.

After some time in the quietness of the room, Emir lay sleeping while Reyhan sat beside him, gently caressing his head. Reyhan, with a tender touch, spoke softly, "Emir, I know something is definitely bothering you. The sudden change in your behavior, the fear of losing me, doesn't seem normal. The way you said it seems that you're scared that I will leave you."

Her expressions softened as she gently lay down beside him, looking at him with love. Reyhan continued, "Emir, why would I even have a thought of leaving you?" She delicately held his hand with her finger, adding, "In fact I'm scared too that what if one day you stopped loving me, I never want that day to come. Emir, you have become my habit. I can't see myself without you. Even today, I know how I spent the whole day without talking to you. But I know your fear is something else. I need to find out its roots."