Chapter 64: Distance of two hearts

Reyhan was seen walking out in the hospital corridor with her friend. Her friend anxiously asked, "Reyhan, what did the doctor say?" Reyhan replied with a subtle "hmm, It's improving." Her friend, noticing Reyhan's expressions, said, "Reyhan, finally, you're going to be perfectly fine. Aren't you happy about it?"

Reyhan looked at her and said, "There's no reason for me to be happy. I don't know why I'm doing all this. What I'm doing here. I should have died that day when..." Her friend urgently stopped her and said, "Reyhan, please don't say that..."

Reyhan continued, "Then what should I do, Pinar? I lost my baby because of this. I had to leave Emir because of this. Now, this life is completely useless for me." Pinar, putting a comforting hand on Reyhan's shoulder, responded, "Reyhan, you got cancer; it wasn't your fault. You were pregnant when you reached here, you had no idea about it. Still, you decided to keep the baby, but your health conditions didn't allow that to happen. Reyhan, please don't blame yourself for anything. It's life.. it happens but we can't lose hope."

Reyhan started crying and said, "I lost everything, Pinar... My love, my family, my child-everything. I have no one to be by my side." Pinar extended her arm towards Reyhan and while comforting her she said, "Reyhan, I'm here. I will always be with you, my dear." Reyhan continued to hug Pinar.

Later, at their apartment, both sat across each other having lunch in silence. Pinar broke the silence, saying, "Reyhan, can I ask you something?" Reyhan, still looking tense, replied, "Hmm... ask." Pinar inquired, "Why did you leave your husband Emir? You said he loved you so much. Then why would you..." Reyhan's expressions faded. Pinar continued, "I mean, if you shared that you have been diagnosed with cancer, he must've supported you.. Right?" Reyhan replied, "It wasn't that easy," and continued eating to avoid further conversation.

At night, Reyhan went inside her room and looked at their wedding photo frame, she traced her fingers over the image of their happy faces. Tears glistened in Reyhan's eyes as she whispered, "Emir, I hope you're happy in your life now." She took a deep breath, her voice cracking with emotion. "Every moment, day and night, I prayed for your happiness. After all, I hurt the most beautiful heart in this world."

A bittersweet smile formed on her lips as she continued, "But, Emir, I'm not well without you. Every moment is so heavy for me. I don't want to continue like this, Emir. I know I wronged you, but I couldn't see you suffering for me. I couldn't see that pain in your eyes, that fear of losing me."

Tears trickled down her cheeks as she confessed, "I'm sorry, Emir...I couldn't tell you about that because my life was at risk at that time. I would live or die was so uncertain. I couldn't bear to see you crying.. seeing me dying.. getting shattered into pieces in front of me."

Taking a shaky breath, Reyhan revealed her deepest struggle, "Only I know how much those words pained me when I said I'm tired of your love. No, Emir, today if I'm here alive, it's your love which kept me alive. And when I got to know that I'm pregnant, it was your face which gave me that hope to live. I thought you came back to me as our baby. I left you Emir but you and your love never does. I still remember how your face used to lit up on seeing Esra in my arms. Everybody told me that it could be risky for my treatment, but I decided to keep that baby for both of us, Emir. But destiny didn't let that happen... After that I was so shattered. I lost all hopes in my life."

Then overwhelmed with emotions she put that photo frame back in its place. Wiped her tears and whispered, "I hope Emir.. if this time I could hug you tightly and cry my heart out and tell you everything.. "

In the quiet of the night, Emir lay in bed with Esra snuggled close to him, her small arms wrapped around him. The room was bathed in a soft, muted glow from the bedside lamp. His brow furrowed with tension as he stared into the abyss of his thoughts. Gently tracing his fingers along Esra's back. Then, his gaze shifted to the empty bedside table, He looked at the vacant space where their wedding photo used to be placed, a visual representation of the void that Reyhan's absence had left in their lives. Esra, sensing her father's unease, looked up at him with her innocent eyes. "Baba, are you okay?" she asked, her small hand reaching up to wipe away a tear that had escaped Emir's eye.

Emir mustered a small smile for his daughter, running his fingers through her hair. "I'm okay, sweetheart," he reassured her, but his gaze returned to the empty space, a silent acknowledgment that he still missed Reyhan.

In the soft morning light, Emir stood in front of the mirror, his reflection revealing the sadness etched on his face. As he attempted to button his shirt, lost in his own thoughts, Ayşe entered the room without asking for permission and seeing Emir in a state of vulnerability, Ayşe hesitated and turned away, "Emir Bey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to intrude." Emir, feeling a bit embarrassed, sighed and said, "Ayşe, how many times do I have to tell you to knock before entering my room?"

Emir turned towards her, now fully dressed asked, "Have you made Esra ready?" Excitement lit up Ayşe's face as she replied, "Yes, Emir Bey. Esra is ready, and I am too." Emir looked at her for a moment with an irritated expression. Without another word, he walked out of the room, leaving Ayşe with her thoughts. Alone in the room, Ayşe couldn't help but mutter to herself, blushing, "Emir Bey, one day... you will love me. And I will wait for that day."

Just then, Zehra burst into the room, calling out, "Emir... Emir..." Her eyes widened as she saw Ayşe standing there, looking rather stunning.

Zehra playfully teased, "Wow, someone is looking gorgeous today." Ayşe, feeling a bit flustered, blushed in response. Zehra, with a mischievous glint in her eyes, continued, "You will see, Ayşe. One day, Emir will forget that Polat girl, and he himself will say that he wanting to divorce her." She paused, watching Ayşe's reaction.

Zehra declared with confidence, "Then, Ayşe, I will get you and Emir married. Think about it. Also, as Emir has got Esra's custody because of you, he might have a feeling that he owes you something. Emir will have no choice but to marry you."

Ayşe, still blushing and slightly taken aback by Zehra's bold predictions said, "Zehra aunty, you're always awesome...I Can't thank you enough giving me a chance for being close to Emir." Zehra winked at her, "Just wait, Ayşe. Love has a way of finding its path. And who knows, maybe Emir is just waiting for the right moment to realize what's in front of him."

Reyhan was seen on a video call with Can. Can earnestly said, "Reyhan, please come back. I'm missing you so much." Reyhan responded, "Can, you already know I can't come. Mom and Dad are so angry with me, I know if they want to see my face again." Can insisted, "Reyhan, they don't express that, but they miss you too. I can sense it. Reyhan, if you come back and tell them the actual reason, they will definitely forgive and accept you."

Reyhan shared, "Can, I also want to come and meet you and Zara, also the little Can." Can smiled and said, "Yes, he's waiting to meet his aunt. But Reyhan, I'm serious. Please think about it. I didn't share anything with Zara because you denied me for doing that. Reyhan, please come back and clear all misunderstandings. Your treatment is almost done, and the remaining will be arranged here in Istanbul. Reyhan, please consider this."

Pinar overheard Reyhan's conversation with her brother and thought, "Reyhan, I think it's time for you to consider going back to your family." Pinar hesitated for a moment, her gaze reflecting concern and sincerity. And, while maintaining a composed demeanor, Pinar reached Reyhan and said, "Reyhan..." Reyhan, offering a soft smile, greeted her, "Good morning, Pinar."

As they stood together, Pinar took a deep breath before opening up, "Reyhan, I need to talk to you. I'm asking you for a favor." Reyhan, sensing the shift in tone, became attentive, "What happened, Pinar? Is everything alright?"

Pinar, her gaze unwavering, spoke with genuine concern, "Reyhan, you should go back to your family. I can see you are suffering every day here. It's been four years." Reyhan, her smile fading, replied, "Pinar, what do you think? I never considered going back to them. Maybe my family would accept me, but Emir? Would he accept me? I don't know how he is...