37. Sahara

January 18, 2022

I like Playboi's mom.

She reminds me of what mine could've been had she lived longer, full of happiness and love, even while sitting in a hospital bed with tubes in her nose and arms.

It's been a few hours now and I haven't seen Playboi or mama dukes stop smiling since we got here.

"Tell me why you're in here now, I been talkin this whole time." Playboi laughs and looks over his shoulder, checking for us even though we're sitting on the other side of the room while they talk and catch up.

"Just dealin' with some high blood pressure, that's all. A couple dizzy spells so your daddy wanted me to get seen."

"When the last time you seen a doctor, ma?" He asks as he digs in his back pocket to pull out his phone.

I lean my head against Zayne's shoulder and close my eyes, enjoying this moment in case it's the last time I feel peace again. Like her, I've never met the nigga I'm fucking with mom and now that we have, we're expected to meet the rest of his family when we leave here.

Meeting people and being friendly isn't my strong suit. But for them, I'm trying so hard.

"Bae, I'm hungry." Zayne whispers quietly.

"Again? We just ate, fat ass."

"Mcht, yeah and now I'm hungry again. Look how pretty the city is." She points out the window and draws my attention outside.

New Orleans is gorgeous and it's only noon. If I was Playboi, I don't know that I'd ever want to leave this city. The electricity in the air buzzed all over my skin as soon as the jet landed.

"Aight mama, we'll be back a lil' later." Playboi says while he stands and walks over to the two of us wearing a dorky smile.

"Yeah 'cause fat ass over here already talkin' 'bout she hungry." I chuckle and shake my head again.

"I know where to take you too." Playboi cheeses and wraps an arm around Zayne while she holds her hand out for me to take.

"Make sure you bring 'em by the house, I told ya daddy I'm checkin' myself up outta here tonight and I wanna get to know them!"

"Aight mama, will do." Playboi waves one more time before escorting us out with his fingers pressed into the small of our backs.

On the way to wherever Playboi got in mind, my head is all over the place. Playboi's mom, mama dukes, as he calls her, and the way she didn't question us in the way I imagined she would've confuses me a lil.

I didn't expect it.

"So your mom..." Zayne starts off with a cute lil nervous giggle.

"I like her." I say quietly once we're all settled in the backseat comfortably.

"Oh yeah, I forgot how much I missed her all these years." Playboi's smile falls a lil bit and when Zayne notices, she grabs his face and leaves a kiss on his beard.

"She knows you're poly, I'm assumin'." She laughs again, this time with less nerves and then he nods.

"Yeah. When I was twelve, I watched a movie, or read a book, I can't remember but he had two wives and they were all a unit and happy, like genuinely happy. And from then on, I knew I wanted multiple wives."