673-674

Chapter 673: He Almost Believed It

Shi Qingluo's eyes had a hint of playfulness. A noble title that could be inherited, presumably, the old Xiao family would definitely not let go.

Previously, Tao Liu had taken the initiative to send a message to her little husband. She did not want to be entangled with Xiao Yuanshi and the old Xiao family anymore, so she wanted to bring her daughter out to live alone and asked her little husband for help.

Her little husband also agreed to help. He promised that he would ask his scumbag father to give the mother and daughter some silver to buy some shops, fields, and villages. When the time came, she would bring her daughter to live alone.

When she returned to North City, she could have a good chat with the old lady about the title of nobility.

He was sure that the Xiao family would take the initiative to follow his scumbag father back to Nanxi County.

When Xiao Yuanshi heard the contents of the imperial edict, he also knew that the Emperor had a knot in his heart regarding his previous actions.

He felt sad. He had used all sorts of methods to climb up the ladder, but in the end, he was dismissed as a Baron without any real power.

If he were to return to his hometown, what use would he have for this title?

The key was that his two sons were no longer related to him, and he could no longer give birth to any more sons. Who would inherit them?

However, no matter how embarrassed and pained he was, he did not dare to show it at all. He respectfully accepted the imperial edict and even showed a grateful expression.

Xiao Hanzheng and Shi Qingluo were ready, so they set off for the northern border the day after the imperial edict arrived.

Two days ago, Xiao Hanzheng went to see the Third Prince and had already given him the commander's seal.

As for the commander's seal from King Jin's estate that Liang Mingyu had given him, he had to go to the capital to hand it over to the Emperor. When they set off, the soldiers in the city came to send them off reluctantly.

The old general and the other generals sighed.

"You are clearly a talented general, why do you have to be that lousy magistrate?"

"Wouldn't it be good to be a first-grade general?"

"With your abilities and contributions, it's very likely that you'll be conferred the title of Marquis in the future."

These people really did not want a general like Xiao Hanzheng to leave. All the memorials they had sent to keep him were useless.

Besides, Xiao Hanzheng was not only good at fighting, but he could also ask for military supplies from the higher- ups- AS soon as the soldiers lives improved, he had to leave again,

All of them were heartbroken.

Xiao Yuanshi sat in the carriage at the back. When he heard these people's words, he felt even more upset.

When he was still the vice governor, these people had a very average attitude toward him.

When they heard that he was going to be conferred the title of nobility and return to Nanxi County, their eyes were filled with schadenfreude or sympathy.

But now, they kept asking Xiao Hanzheng to stay.

Xiao Hanzheng smiled and hugged the old general and the others. "I also prefer to be a civil servant, so I'm sorry!"