Sunshine

<< Stella >>

-You're late. says the grumpy voice behind me. I don't have to turn around to know who it is, there's a blue-eyed bastard behind me that I'm stuck with.

- It's only been 5 minutes... I sigh as I turn to face him

- Still late.

-Would you like to do me a favor and go fuck yourself?

-The language.

-Fuck you.

- I don't blame you, anyone would. I mean, just look at me! Who would resist me? says Thomas with that idiotic smile on his face that I would like to erase. I have known Thomas since childhood, we used to spend most of the time together because we are children of the sun, the moon and the stars. 

Our parents always tried to make us collaborate because my magic and his are somehow related and we have to at least support each other to be able to maintain a balance. Everything was easy while we were apart, but since he came back, his mere presence annoys me.

- How can you be such an idiot at your age, how old are you... 10?

-117 my love.

-And you still behave like a 10-year-old child.

-You have to admit that I would be a very handsome 10-year-old. he says as he takes the coffee cup from my hand and takes a sip.

Thomas has a unique power that comes with his star magic. He is practically immortal. Every 100 years he is reborn, following his destiny as a celestial guardian to guard the descendants of Melody's throne. He's practically on his second life, looking like a 17-year-old, being a 17-year-old.

-Drop the shit, Thomas, tell me what's going on.

- I don't think I understand.

-Don't pretend you don't understand, you're not at Alfeea just because you want to practice for old times sake. Something is happening, something big, and no one is telling us anything, so for the sake of it, just say something.

He takes a big step towards me, closing the space between us. His playful tone and amusement from earlier are gone, his eyes have become a dark ocean and he looks at me without saying anything. He keeps closing the space between us, which forces me to take steps back. I wince when my back hits the wall. He is close, too close for my liking

-Tell me, sunshine... he says in a low and dark tone, his right hand is placed on the wall next to my head, and his left brush a strand of hair from my forehead. From the outside, it may seem like a tender gesture, but I know better than to interfere with the master of the night.

-What makes you think we're hiding something from you... he whispers, his eyes touching my lips while playing with the strand of hair from earlier.

It takes all my self-control to keep from hitting him and telling him to get his damn hands off me. Thomas has always been a fan of games and something makes me believe that right now he is playing one of his favorite games. This could simply be a test to see my reaction to him or to test my loyalty. Either way, I won't lose this game, I need information.

- First of all... the attacks. - I say - They were more brutal each time. He just nods. I try to ignore the ringing in my ears and continue

-Secondly... Specialists. - the air in the room is almost non-existent, I try to keep calm and continue - We, the fairies, spend more and more time in their presence. The hours of physical training almost exceed those of magic and combating spells.

-And? he asks

-And you. You were always there when something happened, which tells me something is about to happen. You spent hours in a row locked in the library, you spend hours in a row behind closed doors discussing, God knows what with the generals, with Cami, with anyone who has power and influence.

-You are forgetting something. he says

- The fairies. There are almost none left, but the ones that still have magic haven't lost magic in over two weeks. And now, we are all chained to each other. Something is really happening and you know it.

- Very good, sunshine. Now...we have some tricks to practice. he says suddenly pulling away from me.

-Are you really going to ignore everything I said!? I snap at him. his attitude freaks me out, how can he be so quiet after everything i just told him?

-No. You're right, something is happening, but the thing is, it's not even remotely your business.

-It's not even remotely my business!?

- No, it's not, sunshine. Don't stress your beautiful head with real life stuff, keep living in your perfect princess bubble and don't be curious about the world around you.

-How dare you, you bastard!

- Sunshine, we have work to do. Congratulations, you managed to notice that nothing is normal, guess what, nothing has been normal for years! Now, do you want to start our training session or can we continue arguing, you decide.

- No way in hell I'll spend another 5 minutes with you. I say turning to the door to leave, but he grabs my elbow and stops me

- You will regret it if you go out that door.

- Is it a threat, Tommy?

- It's a promise.

-Guess what, I stopped believing in your promises, now, release my hand before I fry you and destroy the little balance that is left.

-Let it be your way then... he says and frees my elbow.