Chapter 1

"Miss Ross?"

I snap out my thoughts and look up to meet the eyes of my history teacher, Mr Carter.

Mr Carter has been my history teacher since I've been a freshman. He's not a bad teacher but since he's the youngest teacher and the only good looking one at my school, he gets a lot of attention from not only teachers but students as well.

I sometimes think it goes to his head because he does a lot of things I don't think teachers are supposed to do, like call students, me especially, pet names and also curse during lessons.

"Yes?"

"Your test." He hands me a flipped over paper and waits for me to grab it.

I gasp and my eyes widen as I see a 43 in bright red letters on my test. The bell rings and Mr Carter turns around and walks to his desk after he shoots me a small smile.

"Your 4 page paper over World War 1 is due Monday! Have a good weekend everyone!"

I grab my graded test and my purse off the floor and walk over to his desk.

"Mr Carter?"

"Yes, Miss Ross?" He asked. He looks up from his papers.

"My grade has to be a mistake." I tell him. "I studied day and night for this test to make sure I passed. If I bring home this grade, my parents will kill me."

I look at him with a desperate look in my eye almost begging him to change my grade.

I'm not one to study much for a test and I kinda just hope for the best after I've taken it. But I noticed I'm almost failing history and if I want to graduate, I have to get my grade up. That's the reason I've actually been studying, but it don't seem like it helped.

"Your grade tells me you didn't study enough or didn't study at all. I'm sorry, love, but that's your grade and you're going to have to get over it." He tells me.

I can't believe he just told me to 'get over it.' I'm certainly not going to get over it. I don't ever complain about the grade I got but now that I'm actually trying to get a better grade, I'm going to complain.

"But I did study, I actually tried this time." I cry.

I can feel tears build up in my eyes and my fist clench around my test paper. I cry when I get frustrated or mad and that kills me because people tend to piss me off all the time, especially my family.

His face softens when he notices the tear fall down my cheek. He takes his glasses off and lays them down on the desk. "Come to study lab Monday and I'll go over the material with you and you can retake it."

I nod and wipe under my eyes with my finger. "Okay, thank you."

"Don't cry, Amaya, you'll get a better grade when you retake it." He reassures me.

"I hope so." I say.

"See you Monday, miss Ross."

I smile. "See you Monday."

I turn around and walk out of his classroom and into the hallway. I frown when I notice there isn't any students in the hallways like there normally is. I look at my phone to see it's after 3. That's the reason there isn't any.

I walk over to my locker and put my combination in. Once it's open I shove my books inside and grab my Nicholas Sparks book I'm currently reading for the third time.

The Notebook.

The Notebook is by far my favorite book! Noah and Allie's relationship is the cutest and it also makes you feel very lonely if you're single.

I shut my locker and put my combination lock back on it. I walk down the hall toward the exit of the school.

"Boo!"

A scream escapes my lips and I find myself on the floor. I look up when I hear laughter and see my best friend and also the reason if I ever have a heart attack, Lukas Elliot.

"You freaking prick! I told you to stop doing that!" I scold him and slap him on the back of his head.

"Ow!" He rubs the place I hit him and pouts. "God you hit like a man."

I roll my eyes and link my arms with his and pull him outside into the student parking lot.

"What'd you make on the history test?" I asked him.

Knowing Lukas he probably got a 100 percent since he's so much smarter in history then I am.

He's tried to tutor me but that ended with a bruise on my forehead from him throwing the book at me and him screaming "you're unteachable!"

So I've stuck to trying to teach myself because there is no way in hell I'm asking Mr Carter for help.

"120." He shrugged.

How the hell do you get 120 on a test without a bonus question? There wasn't even a bonus question!

"How? I got a 43!" I exclaimed.

"Wow. Girl, you really are dumb when it comes to history." He laughed.

"It's not funny. Mom and dad are going to kill me when they find out."

I unlock my car and put my purse in the back seat as Lukas gets in the passenger seat.

"Don't tell them." He shrugged.

"I would do that but some how they always know my grade before I even do." I tell him. "Seat belt."

He rolled his eyes and put it on.

"That's a little weird. How do they always know?" He asked me while putting on his ray-bans.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I have no clue but something tells me it has to do with Mr Carter."

I mean it has to be him. I don't think my parents are friends with anymore teachers at my school. I don't even think they know who the principal is.

I stop at a stop sign and turn around grabbing my sunglasses from my beach bag. I put them on then look both ways to make sure nothing is coming.

"Why do you say that?." He asked. He grabs my chapstick from the console and puts some on.

I've told him so many times to stop using my chapstick. If there is one thing I'm stingy with it's my chapstick. I don't want your dry, crusty lips on MY chapstick. Best friend or not.

"Stop using my chapstick!" I yelled. "And because he's literally always around. Haven't you noticed?Barbecues, birthday parties, family dinners, get togethers, he's always there."

"Now that I think about it, he really is always there." He turns to look at me. "Why the hell is he always there? Is he friends with your parents?"

"I'm assuming he is!" I shrugged. "I'm not even surprised anymore when I come home and see him and dad drinking whiskey and watching baseball together."

The first time I came home to him and my dad sitting on the couch drinking whiskey and watching baseball on tv, I lost it, but who wouldn't?

You come home from your friends house just to find your history teacher and your dad watching tv and drinking together like they are best friends. It's not something you expect to see when you come home.

"Holy fuck." He cusses. "It probably is him telling them."

I pull into Lukas's driveway. "Yeah I know. It just pisses me off because I should be the one telling them my grades, not him."

"Enough about this." I change the subject. "Are you and Brendon coming to my party tomorrow?"

"Of course! You know me and him wouldn't miss it for the world." He smiled at me. "You excited about meeting your future hubby?"

"Don't even start with that." I glare at him.

He laughed.

"Bye bitch!" He kisses my cheek and gets out of the car.

"Love you!" I scream.

"Love you more!" He blows me a kiss when he makes it to his porch.

~~