Chapter 5

Chapter Five

Amaya

I wake up to the feeling of someone kissing my forehead. I open my eyes to see Kane sitting on my bed staring at me.

Not creepy at all.

"I didn't mean to wake you." He says softly.

"It's ok." I yawn and rub my eyes forgetting I have make up on. "What time is it?"

"11:21." He tells me while looking at his Apple Watch.

"Oh my gosh." I gasp. "I bet mom wants to kill me for sleeping through my party."

He shakes his head. "She wanted me to wake you up but after the scene she caused, I knew you needed some rest."

I smile at him.

Kane might be the only person who doesn't do what my mom tells them to. If she would've told my dad to come wake me up, he would've before she even finished telling him to.

I push a piece of hair behind my ear and notice Kane's face hardens as he looks at my hands.

"Where the fuck is your ring?" He growls.

I look at him and stay silent.

"Well?" He snapped.

I flinch. "In my jewelry box."

He gets off my bed and walks over to my dresser. He grabs the ring box off the top of my jewelry box and walks back over to me.

He takes the ring out of the box and grabs my left hand sliding it on my ring finger. "I don't want to see this ring off your finger, do you understand?"

I nod.

"I can't hear nods, Amaya." He grabs my chin.

"Yes I understand."

"Good girl."

He backs up from me and walks out of my room.

I sigh and close my eyes.

What would grandma say if she was around?

And no she's not dead. Her and grandpa live in Colorado and rarely come around anymore. They use to always come in for holidays, our birthdays, and just random visits.

I haven't seen them in over a year, hell I haven't even heard from them in over a year. Out of everyone in my family, I'm closest to my grandma, even if it seems like I'm not.

She use to call me her 'go to girl' when she needed someone to gossip to. We would talk on the phone for hours on end about everything in the world.

I remember one phone call in particular, she called me cussing about some 'whore' that was hitting on grandpa at Tuesday night bingo.

I don't think I have ever laughed as hard as I did like I had done that night. My grandma is definitely a sight and you can still tell to this day that she was a wild one back when she was younger.

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt someone wiping away my tears. I open my eyes and see Kane.

"What's wrong?"

"Just thinking." I whispered. He rubs his thumb against my cheek before standing up.

He backs up a little and I see a vanilla cupcake with white icing and pink sprinkles with a single pink birthday candle on top.

He pulls a lighter out of his pocket and lights the candle then holds the cupcake out to me. "Make a wish."

I close my eyes and blow out the candle.

I wish I didn't have to marry you.

I open my eyes and look up at Kane to see him smiling at me.

"Happy birthday, baby." He whispered.

I've called my grandma 5 times and even FaceTimed her twice and still no answer. I've blew her phone up with text messages but she has yet to respond and I'm getting really nervous.

She's probably looking at my text and miss calls and thinking 'why didn't she try to call or text me a year ago' but it's on both of us, she didn't try to call or text me either.

It's not like my grandma and grandpa to come see us then basically fall off the face of the earth and none of us hear from them in over a year.

It makes me think that something happened or something was said while they were here visiting. I know for sure I didn't say anything, Xavier wasn't around, dad always leaves when they come in to town, so it's left up to mom.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if mom did say or do something that made them upset and not want to call or come around again. They might be moms parents but my mom doesn't give a shit about them.

I jump as my phone starts buzzing. I look down and smile when I see grandma's name on my phone.

I answer it.

"Hi grandma!" I squeal.

"Hi baby girl! How you doing?" She yells into the phone.

I can already tell by her tone of voice that she's had a few drinks. It might only be noon in Colorado but that doesn't stop my grandma from making a margarita. As she always says "it's five o'clock somewhere."

"I could be better." I sigh. "I miss you like crazy."

"Oh sugar plum, I miss you."

I hear grandpa's voice in the background and him telling grandma to give him the phone.

"Don't touch my phone, I'll put it on speaker!" Grandma yells at him.

I laugh.

"How's my favorite granddaughter?" Grandpa's voice comes on the phone making me smile even wider.

"I'm your only granddaughter, grandpa." I tell him.

He chuckles. "I guess you're right."

"Come visit us!" Grandma yells in the phone.

"Jesus Christ, Ethel, go drink some coffee and sober your ass up!" He yelled at her.

I shake my head and laugh.

"I have three weeks of classes left till graduation." I tell them. "I could probably visit after if it's ok with mom and dad."

"Screw them. I'll send out money to you for your plane ticket and birthday tomorrow." Grandma says. "We love you!"

"I love you guys too."

I end the call and lay my phone down on my dresser.

That 'screw them' tells me something definitely happened between them and my parents and I'm going to find out what.

- - -