Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Amaya

I walk through the front door of my house and see my mom mopping the stairs. I was expecting to see her and dad waiting for me like they always do when I get home from school after failing a test.

Seeing her cleaning tells me they don't know yet, which is odd because they always know before I do.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Just doing a little cleaning." She says. "How was school, sweetie?"

"It was ok but I failed my history test and I have no idea how." I sighed.

"I don't know how you failed either." She frowns. "You studied your ass off for that test."

It's my turn to frown at her.

"Y-you're not mad?" I stuttered out in shock.

She's always mad when I fail a test so it kinda scares me when she isn't.

"No, sweetie." She says. "I've never seen you study for a test as hard as you did this one. You might've not passed it, but I'm still proud of you."

I look at her confused. Did she hit her head or something? This is not my mom. My mom would've already hit me with the mop she was just using, not tell me she's proud of me.

I shake my head and walk up the stairs. I honestly don't care what's wrong with her, no matter how worried it makes me.

I sigh in content as the hot water relaxes my tense muscles. I wet my hair and grab my shampoo bottle, I squeeze some into my hand and then massage it into my scalp. I rinse it out and do the same with conditioner.

I squeeze some coconut and strawberry scented body wash onto a loofah and wash my body. I rinse off the soap suds and turn off the shower. I reach my hand out and grab a towel off the towel rack.

I step out of the shower and dry my body off some then wrap the towel around me. I walk out of the bathroom and into my bedroom.

I pick up my phone from my bed to see Lukas had texted me 20 minutes ago.

Breakfast tomorrow? -Lukas

Yes. 9:30, okay? -Amaya

That's the time we always go so yes. -Lukas

For the past 8 years Lukas and I have been going to breakfast on each other's birthday. I guess you could call it a tradition. We go to this little diner in town that serves the best pancakes. Lukas orders chocolate chip blueberry and I order strawberry banana. You name a pancake you want and they will make it. They are by far the best pancake you will ever eat.

Okay. Love you! -Amaya

I lock my phone and throw it on my bed.

I walk over to my dresser and pull out a black Nike sports bra and a pair of light pink panties. I drop my towel and put them on.

I pick out a pair of black Nike shorts and a random white t-shirt. I grab my towel off the floor and throw it in the hamper.

I put my wet hair in a messy bun and slip my feet into my pink house-shoes. I grab my phone off my bed and walk out of my room.

I walk down the stairs and toward the kitchen. I stop in front of the kitchen doorway as I hear voices coming from inside.

When I walk into the kitchen the voices stop, I look up and see my parents with Mr Carter. I rolled my eyes and walk over to the fridge.

I'm starting to think he don't have a house of his own. That has to be the reason he's always at mine.

"Hey sweetheart." My dad greets me.

"Hi." I smile at him before looking into the fridge for something to eat only to find there was nothing but a head of lettuce and a half of a gallon of milk. I sigh and close the fridge.

"We ordered Chinese for dinner." Mom tells me.

Chinese? Everyone knows I don't like Chinese food.

"I don't like Chinese food, mom." I tell her for the hundredth time. "I'll probably go out and get me something."

"Oh honey I'm sorry, I forgot." She admits.

"It's okay."

"Your father and I actually need to go to the grocery store so we can pick you up something while we're out." She tells me. "What do you want?"

"You can get me whatever." I say.

I reach up and grab a glass from the cabinet then fill it up with tap water before taking a sip.

"Do you care if Kane stays here while we're gone?" My dad asked. I turn around and look at him with wide eyes.

Yes! I do care if he stays here. I knew I couldn't tell my parents that though because they'd have my head for being 'rude' and they are actually being nice to me for once and I'm not messing that up.

"Uh no of course not." I stuttered.

I pour the rest of my water into the sink then sit my glass on the counter. I turn around and expect to see my parents still sitting at the table but they are both gone already.

"Love you!" Mom yelled before I hear the front door slam shut.

Did they really just leave like that?

Wow.

I walk past Mr Carter and out of the kitchen and into the living room and sit down on the couch. I don't even bother turning on the tv because I know I'm just going to sit here and play on my phone and not even pay attention to it.

I put my legs up on the couch and cover them with the gray throw blanket that was folded up on the back of the couch.

I pay Mr Carter no attention as he sits down on the couch beside me and just continue scrolling through my phone.

I'm in the middle of reading this girls post on Instagram about her and her boyfriends 3 year anniversary when my phone gets snatch out of my hand.

I whip my head up to see Mr Carter glaring at me with my phone in his hand.

"Did you hear a word I said to you?" He snapped.

"No I didn't and I don't care." I glared at him. "Give me my phone back!"

I reach for my phone but he moves it away from me and puts it in his back pocket.

"Stop." He growled as I try to get it from his pocket.

My arms fall to my sides as I jump back in fright. His eyes have changed to darker shade of blue and he's clenching his fist so hard they are turning white.

"We're going to have to do something about that attitude of yours."

"I don't have an attitude." I roll my eyes and stand up, walking out of the living room.

He can keep my phone. It's not like anyone was texting me anyway. As soon as I thought that I hear my phone ding which means I got a text message.

I turn around and see Mr Carter taking my phone out of his back pocket and looking at the message.

I go to grab my phone out of his hands but he moves it so I can't grab it and starts reading the message out loud.

"Hey babe, I have a question." Mr Carter grits his teeth as he reads the message. "Who the fuck is Brendon?"

I take him by surprise by yanking my phone out of his hand.

"It's none of your business." I snapped.

I walk out of the living room and up the stairs to my room.

- - -