Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-Two

Amaya

The rest of dinner with Mary went by quietly. She could obviously tell something was bothering me but when she asked, all I told her was I was tired.

She didn't believe me but didn't push me to tell her what was really wrong and I was thankful for that.

Now here I am standing in front of Kane's office door at his house. I can tell he has company not only because of the unknown male voices coming from inside but also the two cars that are parked in his driveway.

I walk into his office not even bothering to knock making the two men and Kane look up at me. Kane looks at me angrily and if looks could kill, I would be six foot under.

Guess I interrupted something important.

Oopsy.

"Get out." I tell them without looking away from Kane. Neither one of them move and that makes me turn my head to look at them. "Get out!"

They both flinch and hurry out of the room, closing the door behind them. Kane glares at me and opens his mouth to say something but I cut him off.

"Don't say a word." I glare at him. "This is all your fault."

"I actually listened for once because I didn't want to get in trouble and I shouldn't have." I say. "Grandma had me an appointment with Valerie Goodwin."

"Valerie Goodwin!" I yell. "Do you know who that is?"

He opens his mouth to reply but I once again cut him off. "She's one of the best wedding dress designers in America!"

I feel tears build up in my eyes as I see his eyes soften.

"I've dreamed since I've been a little girl to have my wedding dress made by her and my dream is ruined." I cry. "All because I listened to you and didn't go to Denver."

I cover my face with my hands as sobs escape my lips. I feel Kane's arms wrap around my waist and I'm turned around and my head is placed on his chest.

"Shh, baby, it's okay." He whispers in my ear.

"No it's not." I sob.

He runs his fingers through my hair and shushes me. After a few minutes of me crying into his chest, I pull away and look at him.

"I didn't get to plan my dream wedding and now I'm not going to get to wear my dream wedding dress." I say.

It was after 10 by the time I got finished 'yelling' at Kane so it was too late for me to drive home.

Okay, it wasn't too late but to Kane, it apparently was. I didn't argue with him about going home because I was honestly too tired to so I said okay and he gave me a shirt to sleep in then showed me to one of his many guest bedrooms.

It's now after 2 and I lay wide awake in the guest bedroom with a million and one thoughts running through my head.

I sigh as I hear my phone ding. I grab my phone and frown when I see who the message is from.

Zoe.

Zoe was mine and Lukas's best friend for a year. . We met her freshman year and we instantly became best friends.

The end of sophomore year, she got with this boy, well I should say man. I was so excited she finally got a boyfriend, I didn't like that he was 26 and she was only 16, but I didn't say anything about it because he made her happy and that's all that mattered.

A few months passed of Zoe and that guy dating and Lukas and I heard less and less from her. Zoe would always text us 24/7 but she started texting us only once a day then once a week and soon, she didn't text us at all.

Lukas and I blew up her phone to try and get her to text us back and tell us what happened and why she didn't talk to us anymore but we soon gave up after a month because she never replied back.

When junior year started, the first day of school Lukas and I was trying to find her to talk to her but we found out she had moved schools.

This is the first time I've heard from Zoe in over two years.

I heard about your wedding and I just wanted to say congratulations. -Z

As much as I would love to go off and ask her why the hell she hasn't talked to me or Lukas in over two years, I'm not going to.

Thank you. -A

I lay there looking at the ceiling after I reply back to her. I sigh and rub my hand over my face as my head feels with thoughts about Zoe.

I'm definitely not getting any sleep anytime soon.

I wonder if Kane's awake.

I doubt it. It is almost three in the morning.

I roll my eyes as a small voice in my head tells me that.

I put my phone on the nightstand and throw the covers off of me and get out of bed. I walk over to the bedroom door and slowly open it then walk into the hallway.

I walk over to Kane's bedroom door. I look down and see light coming from underneath the door.

He is awake.

I knock on the door and a few seconds later I hear a faint, come in. I open the door and smile when I see him laying on his bed with his glasses on and a book in his hand.

He looks over and smiles when he sees me. He takes off his glasses and lays them down on top of his now closed book. "Why are you still awake, Princess?"

"I can't sleep." I tell him softly.

~~