Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Amaya

It's Monday morning and I'm staring blankly at the wall while my English teacher goes on about I don't even know what.

Since I left Kane's house yesterday, I haven't thought about what happened that day. But what I have been thinking about is my first kiss.

Why can't I get it out of my head?!

I know I should still be angry but the truth is, I'm not. It's not because I'm getting feelings for Kane, because I'm not, it's because we're suppose to get married so a kiss between us was bound to happen.

If I was told three years ago my first kiss would be with my history teacher, I would've laughed, but if you told me he was to be my husband also, I would've laughed even harder and called you fucking crazy.

I sigh and walk out of my English classroom as the bell rings for 7th period. I walk over to my locker and put in my combination to unlock it. I put my English book inside and grab my history book. I shut my locker and put the lock back on.

I turn around and jump as I see someone standing behind me. My eyes widen in shock as I see who it is.

Ryan Greene

"Hey." He says.

I smile at him. "Hi."

"I didn't see you at prom on Saturday." He frowns.

He was looking for me?

"Yeah, I didn't end up going." I tell him.

"That's a bummer, I was a saving a dance for you." He runs his fingers through his hair nervously.

Why is he nervous?

"Do you want to go out tonight?" He asked me.

That's why he's nervous..

I feel my cheeks get hot.

Ryan Greene is actually asking me on a date?

I smile widely before I remember I can't go on a date with him. My smile drops and I look at him sadly.

"I'm sorry, but I can't." I frown.

"Why not?" He asked.

"My life is really complicated right now." I tell him. "I would love to go out with you but I can't."

"What is stopping you from telling me yes?" He asked. "First prom and now this?"

"I-I can't tell you." I stutter. "I'm so sorry."

He runs his fingers through his hair again and opens his mouth to say something but gets cut off.

"Mr Greene, Miss Ross." I turn my head to see Kane looking at us with his fist clenched. "The bell rang 10 minutes ago, get to class."

"Sorry, Mr Carter." Ryan looks back at me. "I'll see you around, Amaya."

"Yeah, see ya." I whisper.

I watch him as he goes down the hallway and turns into a classroom. I sigh and look back at Kane to see him already looking at me with a frown on his face.

"What?" I asked.

He shakes his head. "Nothing."

"I think Brendon's going to propose."

I chock on a mouth full of burger as Lukas tells me that. I start coughing and take a drink of water as I look at him with wide eyes.

"Why do you say that?" I asked after I recovered from coughing.

"I found the ring box sitting on his night stand." He tells me.

I raise an eyebrow.

Brendon is a very smart guy and I know for sure he would not leave something like an engagement ring sitting on his night stand for Lukas to find.

Wait.

Did Brendon want Lukas to find it?

My eyes widen.

"Does he know you seen it?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know."

"He asked me to go get his eye drops off the nightstand but I found the ring box instead." He shrugs again.

I stare at him blankly.

He really is blonde.

I shake my head. "Lukas."

"What?"

"He wanted you to find the ring, dumbass." I roll my eyes. "Why do you think you couldn't find his eye drops?"

His eyes widen. "That must be why he looked so sad when I told him I couldn't find them!"

I close my eyes and put my hand on my forehead. "Oh my gosh."

I shake my head and open my eyes to see Lukas staring at me. "What are you still doing here?"

He jumps.

"Oh right! I'll call you with details later." He leans over the table and kisses my cheek. "Love you!"

I shake my head as he rushes out of the diner.

I look down at my food with a smile on my face.

My best friend is basically engaged.

My smile turns into a frown as I realize something.

Brendon didn't mention anything about proposing to Lukas to me. He always tells me something this important but I guess he thought I would tell him.

"Ma'am?"

I jump and turn my head to look at the waitress who is smiling at me. "Yes?"

"Would you like another milkshake?" She asked.

"No thank you, just the check please." I tell her.

She takes her notepad out of her apron and rips my ticket off then hands it to me. "You have a goodnight, baby."

I smile and grab it from her. "You too."

I take my wallet out and get 30 dollars out. I lay the money on the table and stand up from the booth. I grab my purse and put my wallet inside.

I walk out of the diner and into the parking lot. I look for my car and curse when I don't see it which makes me remember Lukas was my ride and he left.

I take my phone out of my purse and scroll through my contacts. I have three people besides my parents that I can call.

Lukas, Brendon, and Kane.

I can't call Lukas or Brendon so that leaves Kane.

I sigh.

I need more friends.

~~