Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three

Kane

My breathe hitches when I see Amaya standing there in nothing but my navy blue t-shirt. Her face clean of make up and her hair is on top of her head in a bun.

She's beautiful.

I take my glasses off and lay them down on top of my closed book and put them both on the nightstand. I smile at her. "Why are you still awake, Princess?"

"I can't sleep." She says softly.

" Come here." I pat the empty spot next to me on the bed.

I scoot over to give her space so she can lay down beside me. She looks at me for a minute before walking over to the other side of the bed and crawling onto to the spot next to me.

"Why are you still awake?" She asked after she got comfortable. I look at her and smile.

"I can't sleep either." I tell her. I see her eyeing the book I was reading a few minutes ago and chuckle.

She looks so cute when she's curious.

"What were you reading?" she asked.

"The Shining." I say smiling at her.

"Stephen King?" She laughs. "I didn't take you for the type to like his books."

I stare at her in awe.

Her laugh is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

"I love them."

"I find them scary." She says making me chuckle.

I look at her still chuckling softly to find her looking at me with those beautiful green eyes of hers that scream innocent. We both look at each other without saying a word. I look away from her and clear my throat.

"It's late we should try to get some sleep." I tell her giving her a faint smile.

I made my way toward my side of the bed. I sat down and turned off the bedside lamp. I looked at her and saw her looking back at me. I pushed my legs beneath the comforter and pulled it up till it was on my waist.

"You need to sleep princess." I tell her tucking a piece of hair out of her face. She looked at me frowning but laid back down. I pull the comforter up around her body and she closed her eyes. I lay on my back and close my eyes.

A few minutes later when I was drifting off to sleep, small movements wake me up. I look at my side at Amaya and see her staring at the ceiling.

"What happened?" I whispered. She turns her head toward me.

"I can't sleep." She whispered out lowering her gaze from mine. She was fidgeting with the edge of the comforter.

"Come here." I tell her. I scoot closer to her and she turns her body so she's looking me in the eyes. I run my hand over her hair, playing with the ends.

"Go to sleep, my love." I whispered in her ear, threading my fingers through her soft blonde hair. But instead of her closing her eyes, she kept then open and looks at me with a frown.

"But I just said I can't sleep-."I cut her off as I attached my lips with hers in a soft kiss. I immediately pulled away knowing she got the hint to be quiet.

Opening my eyes I saw a pair of wide green eyes, who was looking at me with a shocked expression. I smirked looking at Amaya's face.

"Now close your eyes." I tell her while playing with her hair.

This time she closes her eyes and relaxes into the pillow. I wrapped my arm around her pillow and brought her closer to me. She gave a sigh of satisfaction as I massaged her scalp and played with her hair. She was soon asleep with my arms tightly wrapped around her.

Amaya

I woke up this morning tightly wrapped in Kane's arms. Last night was the best sleep I have gotten in weeks. I don't know if it was because Kane's bed is so comfortable or if it was the fact that I was cuddled up to him all night.

I'm just going to say it's reason number one and not reason number two.

When I woke up it was a little after 8 so I got out of bed and walked down stairs to make some coffee for myself and Kane.

Now here I sit on Kane's counter with a coffee mug in my hands and thoughts about the wedding going through my mind.

I don't have bridesmaids.

There is two weeks before the wedding and not only do I not have a dress yet but I just realized I don't have bridesmaids either.

I know I could ask Kane's sister to be one, even if I haven't met her yet. I could also call my cousin that lives in Las Vegas and ask her to be one too, but who's going to be my maid of honor?

Zoe.

Even though I haven't seen Zoe in over three years, I would love to have her as my maid of honor!

I sit my coffee mug down and grab my phone that's sitting next to me. I press the home button to unlock it and go to text messages. I hit Zoe's name and type out a message.

Hey Z, I know it's been a while but would you want to meet up for lunch? I need to ask you something! -A

"Good morning."

A scream escapes my lips and my phone falls out of my hands landing on the floor. I turn around and glare at Kane to see him laughing.

"That wasn't funny!"

I jump down off the counter and grab my phone off the floor. I gasp as I see the screen of my phone completely shattered.

"Oh my goodness."

~~