Chapter 11

Amaya

Tonight is prom. But instead of us going to prom, like we had planned, Brendon talked me and Lukas into going to a party at his friends house.

It's not just any party though, it's a college party.

I'm pretty excited to go to my first ever college party but I'm also pretty bummed about missing prom. I'm not really the type that enjoys dances or really anything that involves dancing, but it's my senior year and I wanted to give prom a chance before high is over.

Next Thursday is the very last day of high school for me and Lukas, then graduation is on Saturday. I'm not like the rest of seniors, I'm not ready to kiss high school goodbye. I guess if everyone was in the same boat as me, they wouldn't want to say goodbye either.

I know the day after graduation, mom will want to start planning my wedding and will make sure I'm married within three months.

I'm not ready to get married.

I'm 18.

I should be planning on going off to college in the fall like the rest of the 18 year olds graduating.

What my parents, Kane, or even Lukas or Brendon don't know is I got accepted into the University of Denver. I've known for the past few months but I haven't said anything about it because I knew mom would say no.

She already told me I wasn't allowed to go to college when my first acceptance letter from a college came in the mail. I asked her why I wasn't allowed and she told me because I would be married before my first year even started.

Can I not be married and go to college?

I asked her that and she told me an answer I certainly did not want to hear.

She told me that a man like Kane would not let his wife work and would only want her to be a housewife.

A housewife.

Housewife!

I'm going to college whether my parents or Kane like it or not. I'm making something of myself, I'm not being a damn housewife.

I bought my plane ticket to leave to go to Denver the day after graduation. I'm going to stay with my grandparents for a week or two and I'm touring the University of Denver while I'm there.

My parents don't know yet about me going to Denver to stay with my grandparents for a little. I was holding off until the last minute to tell them but my grandma texted me this morning and told me I needed to tell them now and not the day before I leave.

So here I am standing in the backyard watching my parents and Kane drink Iced tea while laughing and sitting in our brand new outdoor furniture.

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding and start walking toward them.

You can do this.

"I'm going to college." I blurt out.

They all look at me surprised.

"What did you just say?" My mom asked me.

"I said I'm going to college." I tell her. "I'm going and none of you are telling I'm not."

"Like hell you are." She crosses her arms. "I thought told you, you wasn't allowed."

"You did but I don't care."

I look down at the grass then back up at all of them. "I got accepted into University of Denver."

Kane's face breaks out into a huge smile. I shyly smile back at him.

"You're not going."

I cross my arms and look back at my mom. "And why not?"

"You're about to be married." She laughs.

What is so funny?

"I can't be married and go to college?" I ask.

"No you can't." She shakes her head. "But here is a different question for you, how do you expect to pay for it?"

I open my mouth to tell her but I get cut off.

"I'll pay for it."

I look over at Kane with a smile on my face.

He's willing to pay for me to go to college. What happened to mom saying a man like Kane would only want a housewife?

"I have a house in Denver, anyway, it will work out perfect." He winks at me before look at my mom.

"You're not going to college and you're not paying for her to." She snaps.

My eyes widen as I see Kane's jaw clench.

This isn't going to be good...

"Don't you dare tell me what I can and cannot fucking do." He growls. "If Amaya wants to go to college, she can. No one is stopping her, including you."

Mom flinches and nods her head.

I shoot Kane a smile and turn around walking back into the house.

This probably wasn't the perfect way to end the conversation about me going to college or not but oh well.

Oh shit!

I didn't tell them about me going to Denver after graduation!

It's at 8 at night and I'm laying in bed watching Netflix. My parents went out to dinner and a movie about an hour ago and won't be home for another few hours.

My dad asked me to come with them but as more days go by, I'm getting where I can no longer even tolerate my mother so I told him I would just stay home and order a pizza.

"Hey."

I jump and a scream escapes my lips. I turn around and see Kane looking at me with a smirk on his face and holding a pizza.

Pizza.

"You brought pizza!" I scramble off the bed and walk toward him. I go to grab the pizza box from him but he holds it above my head so I can't reach it.

I frown.

"Kane." I whine. "Im hungry."

He chuckles.

"I know, baby, that's why I brought pizza." He smiles at me. He walks around me and sits on my bed.

I walk to my bed and sit down on it, criss-crossed.

I open the box of pizza and grab a slice. I take a bite out of it and moan at the hot cheesy taste.

It's been so long since I've had pizza.

I look up at Kane after sitting my slice of pizza on the box. He stares at me with a dark look in his eyes making me look back down at the pizza.

"Thank you for bringing me pizza." I smile. "But how'd you know I was hungry?"

"Your father called me and told me you didn't go to dinner with them." He takes a bite out of his pizza.

"Oh."

I'm not about to say anything about how I was going to order a pizza myself because he just saved me 10 dollars.

"Are you going to prom tonight?"

I shake my head. "It's already almost nine so no."

Since he's a teacher shouldn't he be like a chaperone or something?

"Shouldn't you be working it?" I ask him.

"No I didn't have to this year." He wipes his hands on a napkin after putting his pizza crust in the box.

I nod my head.

"I'm going to a party tonight with Lukas and Brendon." I tell him.

I have no idea why I just told him that because I know he's about to go crazy and tell me I'm not going.

"You're not going." He shakes his head.

Told you.

"Yes I am."

And I did.

~~