⇒ CHAPTER THIRTY

Proverbs 17:14

The beginning of strife is like letting out water, so quit before the quarrel breaks out.

𝐀𝐂𝐄
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

"She's coming... just give me a minute alright?" I snap at the owner who has been hackling me for the past 30 minutes that i have been holding the place open for.

I have wanted to check outside for her multiple times now, but every time i got up to go to the door the guy threatened to kick me out for good.

She said she would be back so I trust her word no matter how much i have to wait.

For her i will.

"Look kid..." the owner sits down on the couch beside me, two tall glasses of beer in his wrinkled hands.

"I see you in here from time to time and i wanted to tell you that I understand how women can get." He nudges my side before a cold beer is slipped into my grip.

"Can we... can we not do this?" I utter to him staring deeply at the drink in front of me. I should take it but it would only lead me to have to face Eden's wrath and i would much rather her happiness.

"I'm just trying to help you out here, boy. Women are great when they're great but when they're bad they are bad." He exclaims with widened eyes before his throat gulps from the amount of beer he swallows down.

"She's not like that, not that i have anything to prove to you but when she comes back you can see for yourself." I don't waste any time standing from my seat aggressively before i power walk to the door.

She has been gone for a worrying amount of time, it's the date. I shouldn't have been so stupid as to use our first date to make a point. I scold myself internally when i don't see her car outside...

She didn't- no she couldn't have...

She left?

I gulp back my embarrassment when i look at the empty spot where her car once was and realise i ran her off,

How she told me she is coming back and then left. Would i be foolish to keep on waiting for her? Or would i be foolish to leave the way she did, the way i want to.

"Listen, I'm sorry about your date and all-" my teeth grind at the sound of the owners voice peering up behind me. He must have noticed my attempt to cover whatever hurt Eden just left me with.

"I can keep the bar open for you for another hour if you need but that's about all." He offers unconsciously, i don't even blink before rushing back to the table and sinking myself into the couch. I grab onto the beer and gulp down on the beer in the large glass that was once in front of me.

I always find a way to get back to the very thing i can never escape

"Do you have anything stronger up there?" I say between gulps as my back hits the back of the couch,

"Already poured and ready for you kid, take your time with this one it's as strong as a drug." He dips it in front of me, before walking backwards. I quickly replace the beer the beer that was once in my hand with the clear alcohol in a small short shot glass.