⇒ CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Matthew 25:36

I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

𝙴𝙳𝙴𝙽

✾✾✾✾✾✾✾✾

"Is this what you're doing now eh?" I am still trying to process everything that just happened, my Baba is in an uproar i have never seen him so angry as he continues to yell at me in Yoruba.

Thankfully the neighbors have all found their way to their homes again. Although the flashes are off i am very sure this wont be the last i am hearing of this situation. It only opens yet another door for Ace's name to be dragged through the mud and to think it's all a risk he took because he saw Oliver's hand on me.

My body turns cold speaking words that my mouth could never manage to utter.

I know by the vein that pops out of his forehead just how furious he is but my eyes stay glued to the road where they just arrested ace, all i want to do is jump into my car and follow after them but i can't leave like this, baba is too old to have to deal with this stress.

"I'm telling you that you have this all wro-"

"dake enu re" (Shut up) i flinch at his words,

"Who is it that you think you are talking to? Is it because we are in this America you think you can act any way?" Just like that i go back into the shell i was once in like a hopeless little girl as my father scolds me.

"Abi is it because you see your mates doing rubbish that you went to go and take an olodo for a husband." If his voice wasn't raised so much i would have explained that me and ace are not even dating yet.

"Do you see Serenity doing this stupidity? Answer me!" His lip cringes as he looks down at me in spite, his back hunching over and fatigue written like a script on his aging face.

I am not serenity. I am eden. Is what i would say if i wasn't so weak, is what ace would tell me after i would compare myself to anybody else. And it triggers me to wonder what in the world am i doing here when ace is probably in some cell.

"I told her sir." My whole face recoils as if i smelled something awful when Oliver had the audacity to say something. He gets up from the floor , clearly woozy from what ace did to him. The damage is clear when his bloody face throbs against the hand he presses against it.

It looks like a tooth is knocked out the more he talks his ridiculous case, He limps over to my baba who looks at him with more pity than confusion.

"Who is this one, now?" He whispers to me in Yoruba, unfortunately Oliver is also Nigerian so he understood him perfectly and took the chance to respond back in yoruba only impressing him more.

"Oliver sir, Bawo ni" Is this actually happening right now? i blink once, then twice... nope, this isn't a nightmare.

"I'm the man who called you that day about taking your daughters hand in marriage sir." Oliver's words come out as bloody slurs as he tries his best to speak.

Baba's eyes widen as something in a tv show as he straightens his crocked back just to shake Olivers hand,

"I kindly decline." I exclaim with folded arms over my chest in protest but it's as if I'm not there when they continue the conversation like nothing I'm saying matters, the story of my life.