Protect (not project) your tomorrow

I never saw it coming,
Then one day, all of the sudden:
There was you.
I don’t have to live without you anymore.

___________________________________________

Adira didn’t necessarily like the position she was in now.
She’d rather listen to Lance’s nightly stories.
Instead she is overseeing the training of Coronan soldiers for potential crisis.
Problems at home? Again.
Hector’s voice ever present in her mind.
She sighs.
Not that they have much of a choice apparently,  either that or run away. But where? And even if they knew, they won’t be let go without a fight.
Not that she has anywhere else to go... not anymore...

Officer Bernhard was giving instructions this time in Ryder's place.
“ALRIGHT EVERYONE IN LINE! AS WE PRACTICED, TAKE UP YOUR ARMOURY!”
Soldiers take up swords, shields & spears.
“FORM A LINE!”
They stood together in a defensive position. Some stumbled and got in late.
“DON’T LET IT COLLAPSE OR THE ENTIRE LINE WILL FALL!”
At that they were sweating, struggling to lift the armour, which was heavier than they thought.
Officer Bernhard – When you are on active duty on the best fight is the one you prevent and avoid. However there are times when you must fight.
He motions them to lift the shields up.
Officer Bernhard – You’ll have to take tougher measures! Target only arms & legs, never the head unless needed!
The last line had a serious weight. It would require them to injure and even kill someone...
Definitely above their pay grade.
Bernhard – Next, on with the guns!
The soldiers pick the firearms nervously.
Bernhard – Charge them, hold them tight, don’t shoot early and don’t point it at anyone unless there’s an order!
The circumstances were not desirable ones, with all this weather and a rare disease rampant in the region causing sleeplessness and death... it’ll make many explode on one another.
Bernhard – Alright, you may take a break for now before we resume with marksmanship.
Adira didn’t like the sight to be clear, with all the weapons... and what they are trained for...
Hector would’ve been more suitable to oversee this, he was much more radical.
I am gone, and there’s nothing you can do about it.
Adira sighs before noticing one particular soldier, panting heavily.
One of their newest guests Jane Porter from the centre of the world...

In her defence, Knighthood is for men... physically cases like yours are rare.

Adira didn’t appreciate the reminder.
Jane could feel sweating under her clothes, she really hopes she won’t get a fever.

She can tell the weather is troublesome, they are not Russia/Rusland where “general Frost” is on their side.
Adira decided to approach her, perhaps to distract from unpleasant thoughts.
Adira – Maybe you should rest for now, Red Flower?
Jane looks up to see Adira, who was pretty tall.
“Red Flower?... doesn’t feel like resting...”
Stress also grew, she couldn’t get much of a sleep in past days. Like at all.
Adira – That I see. You’ve been training non stop whenever you not long after arriving here. Your resolve is admirable but it won’t happen in a week.
Jane tries to breathe in and out before her heart bursts out instead.
Jane – I... I know. I get it, but I just don’t feel sage anymore... I keep pushing myself because all I do is meddling, AND... because I don’t know what happens next...
From simple poachers, to armed invaders, snow monsters to elemental spirits...
Jane was out of her debt more than ever.
That reality sinks in after her failure with Bron.
Adira sighs, not surprised.
There are many out here and out there that know not the true level of the world.
Those who read them in books may struggle to face it in practice.
Then again , even books can be misunderstood.
Adira herself sometimes wonders how history will remember them for centuries to come.
Adira – Life can be stranger than fiction, it can be tougher as well.
For some reason Jane remembered once reading a historical record about one King Arthur with her cousin Gwendolyn.
It caused much thought.
Was he real? Did he fight the Saxons and when did he do that? Did he meet with Highlands Princess Merida of Dunbroch in his late life?
Those were logical questions at least but then came ones over the controversial parts... which involved magical Merlin, Bermuda Triangle and a lake nymph Nimue, a lady of the lake who made the Excalibur... And whicked witches try usurping the throne of England by trying to kill Arthur.
Quite harder to believe especially with folklore on weapon-forging mermaids  being mixed in.