CHAPTER-2

AFTER TWO WEEKS

Today is a special day. Lucas, my step-father, is finally getting discharged from the hospital. I rush to the hospital with mixed feelings, knowing that the responsibility of taking care of him is now solely on my shoulders.

I reach Lucas's room to find him ready to leave. He greets me with a warm smile and greeted me  "Good morning, love." I hesitates but timidly replies, "Good morning." I excuse myself to meet Dr. William one last time. 

The doctor explains the delicate task ahead – taking care of Lucas without triggering memories of my mother. Dr. William acknowledges the difficulty and empathizes with me, but emphasizes the importance of proper care for Lucas.

Nodding in understanding, I leave Dr. William's cabin, still grappling with the weight of the responsibility. 

As I walk back to Lucas's room, I can't help but wonder how challenging it will be to pretend to be my own mother.

Helping Lucas into a wheelchair, we make our way to the car, where Peter, Lucas's driver, awaits.

 On the journey home, Lucas starts asking questions, and I'm grateful that I had already briefed Peter on the situation. We arrive home, and I assist Lucas out of the car and into the house.

Opting for a ground-floor room, I explain to Lucas that it would be more convenient for him in his wheelchair.

After settling him into bed, I excuse myself to prepare some soup

After settling him into bed, I excuse myself to prepare some soup. In the kitchen, I encounter Jenny, our longtime servant. 

 I really like Jenny, she's older. She greeted me and asked why I was in the kitchen. I told her I wanted to make soup for Lucas. 

Jenny said she could handle everything in the kitchen, but I politely said no. I told her she could prepare lunch and dinner, and then leave early after making food for me.

 I  have already explained everything to Jenny and Peter, who are older servants of Lucas, about Lucas's memory loss. I asked for their help to not disclose any information about my mom until Lucas remembers everything.

Returning to Lucas's room with the soup, I help him eat and administer his medicine. Afterward, I suggest he rest, but as I try to leave, he grabs my wrist. 

He questions why I'm not getting closer, unaware that I am not his late wife, Alexandra, but his step-daughter, Alice. He pleads for me to lay beside him, and despite my discomfort, I comply.

In his arms, Lucas starts pouring out heartfelt conversations. I listen quietly, nodding and whispering reassurances. 

Eventually, he drifts off to sleep. Carefully untangling myself, I cover him with a blanket and glance back at Lucas, grappling with the emotional complexity of pretending to be someone I'm not.

Taking care of Lucas is proving to be more challenging than I ever imagined. The internal struggle intensified, leaving me uncertain about how I would endure this delicate situation and fulfill the role that life had unexpectedly thrust upon me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 IN THE EVENING TIME

 Later in the evening, I found myself sitting on the sofa in the living room and captivated into my book. Raindrops tapped on the window, creating a soothing melody. 

 Jenny and Peter had already left.

As I immersed myself in the story, a sudden noise from Lucas's room caught my attention. Concerned, I hurried to investigate and discovered Lucas clutching his shoulder in pain. 

A shattered glass lay on the floor. Rushing to his side, I helped him sit comfortably and inquired about the incident.

Lucas explained that he was trying to quench his thirst but accidentally dropped the glass due to the pain. I fetched him a fresh glass of water and helped him in drinking water. 

He expressed a desire to watch a movie, and I readily agreed. Lucas selected a movie, and we settled down to enjoy it together.

As the movie unfolded, I found myself seated beside Lucas on the bed. Unexpectedly, he rested his head on my shoulder and began sharing romantic sentiments. 

Politely, I reminded him to focus on the entertaining movie, nodding along to his words.

Checking the wall clock, I realized it was dinner and medicine time for Lucas. He had skipped lunch due to a midday nap caused by his medication. 

Excusing myself, I headed to the kitchen, warming up our dinner.

Returning to the room with the food, I assisted Lucas in his meal, ensuring he took his medicine. As I completed my dinner, I settled him into bed and encouraged him to rest.

The next task at hand was finding suitable nightwear. Exploring my mother's wardrobe, I stumbled upon revealing clothes that seemed out of character for her. 

Puzzled, I considered the possibility that couples kept certain things private.

Opting for a simple nightwear, I return to the room, finding Lucas already asleep

Opting for a simple nightwear, I return to the room, finding Lucas already asleep. Grabbing a pillow, I head towards the couch to sleep. 

But just as I near it, Lucas's voice breaks the silence, questioning why I'm on the couch. Worried about hurting him accidentally, I explain my intention to sleep separately. 

However, Lucas insists I join him on the bed to ensure he doesn't get hurt.

I obediently settled on the bed, only to feel Lucas hug me from behind and gently kiss my head. In that unexpected moment, we drifted into a peaceful sleep, with Lucas holding me close as if afraid I might float away without his grasp.

•------•°•✿•°•------••------•°•✿•°•------••------•°•✿•°•------••------•°•✿•°•------•