CHAPTER-1

VEER'S POV

As the sun peeks through the curtains, I awaken from my slumber and groggily make my way out of bed. It's another day, and I kick-start it with a refreshing jog in the nearby garden. The crisp morning air fills my lungs as I pound the pavement, losing myself in the rhythm of my footsteps.

After an hour of jogging, I return to my apartment and head straight to my room. A quick shower rejuvenates me, and I begin my morning routine, preparing for another day at the office.

 A quick shower rejuvenates me, and I begin my morning routine, preparing for another day at the office

 As I rustle up some breakfast in the kitchen, my wife Neha emerges from her room. Despite being married for five years, we live more like acquaintances than a married couple, occupying separate rooms and sharing only the barest of interactions.

I set the breakfast plates on the dining table, and Neha joins me, heading to the kitchen to fix her coffee. With breakfast done, I gather my belongings and head for the door, ready to start my day. But before I can leave, Neha stops me, demanding ₹10,000. Without question, I comply, handing over the cash before making my exit.

As I drive towards the office, thoughts swirl in my mind, reflecting on the path my life has taken. Eight years in Mumbai, countless hours of hard work, all for the job I hold now. My marriage to Neha was arranged, a decision made by our parents' wishes, and though I went along with it, there's a sense of emptiness that lingers.

Arriving at the office, I dive into my work, burying myself in tasks and meetings, losing track of time until the clock strikes 8 p.m. Packing up my things, I bid farewell to the office and head for home. Upon arrival, I find the apartment empty, with Neha likely out enjoying herself.

Alone in the quiet of the apartment, I change into comfortable clothes and head to the kitchen. Rummaging through the fridge, I find leftovers and heat them up, settling down at the dining table to eat in solitude. As I chew my food, I can't help but feel a pang of loneliness, longing for the warmth and companionship of family.

Lost in my thoughts, I'm startled by the sound of the doorbell. Opening the door, I'm greeted by the sight of Neha and her boyfriend. They exchange affectionate gestures before Neha bids him farewell, right in front of me. I retreat to the dining table, finishing my meal in silence before retreating to my room, the emptiness of my existence weighing heavily on my shoulders.

Lying on my bed, thoughts swirl in my mind like leaves caught in a whirlwind. Neha, my wife, has never allowed me to touch her since the day we got married. She's from Lucknow, and when we moved to Mumbai together, we began living under the same roof. I'm a bit shy, you see, so I never tried to push her boundaries.

 I always felt like she needed time to get comfortable with me. After all, marrying someone you barely know and then living with them is a big deal, especially for a girl. They have to leave their home and live with a total stranger. 

I remember one day vividly. It was Neha's first birthday after we got married, and I wanted to surprise her with a cake. But when I reached home, I found her with another man, in a very close and intimate position.

I was shocked and hurt. I asked Neha about him, and that's when she confessed about her affair with her boyfriend, Nishank. 

They were in a relationship even before she married me. She wanted to marry him, but her parents were against it. My heart sank with anger and betrayal. I wanted to confront her and end the marriage, but Neha threatened me. 

She said she would accuse me of domestic violence, abuse, and even dowry harassment against my parents if I dared to speak up. I was devastated. The fear of ruining my parents' reputation and the thought of being falsely accused made me keep quiet.

My parents are simple, hardworking people. They sacrificed so much to give me a good education. I couldn't bear the thought of bringing shame to their name. So, for the past five years, I've silently endured the pain and humiliation, hoping for a way out of this chaos. Exhausted by these thoughts, I eventually drift off to sleep, still uncertain about whether I'll ever find freedom from this torment.

AUTHOR'S POV

Today, Veer got delayed while leaving for the office. In a hurry, he didn't listen when Neha called him. It's evening when the doorbell rings. Neha, alone at home, goes to answer it. Someone tries to scare her, and she gets frightened until she realizes it's her younger sister, Ishika.

The two sisters share a hug

The two sisters share a hug. Ishika brings her luggage inside, and they sit in the living room, chatting. Ishika came to Mumbai to pursue further education in fashion designing, having been accepted into a reputable college. She decided to live with her sister after getting permission from their parents. Neha advises Ishika to rest and change clothes.

 Ishika changes and goes to sleep. Later, during dinner time, Neha goes to wake Ishika, but seeing her deep asleep, she lets her rest. Neha waits for Veer, but he is late, so she goes to sleep. Late at night, Veer arrives home after work. 

He goes to his room for a shower after a tiring day at the office. Ishika wakes up feeling hungry and decides to eat. She finds a note on the fridge indicating daal and roti. After tasting, she finds the daal bland and whispers about Neha's lack of cooking skills even after five years. 

Ishika searches for spices and finds them but struggles to reach them due to her height. At that moment, Veer enters the kitchen and catches her as she loses balance while on the stool. Ishika screams in fear, covering her face with her palms and closing her eyes. Veer is mesmerized by her beauty and innocent look. 

Ishika opens her eyes and removes her palms, finding herself in Veer's arms. As Ishika snapped her fingers, Veer came out of his trance and realized their position, safely guiding her to the floor.

 When Ishika hugged Veer to introduce herself as his sister-in-law, he felt nervous and quickly pulled away from the hug. "Oh, you remember me! I'm Neha's younger sister, Ishika. It's nice to meet you, Jiju," she said with a smile.

Veer remembers her and warmly greets her. Veer asks what she's doing in the kitchen and what she's trying to reach. 

Ishika explains that she's picking a spice jar to enhance the taste of the daal. Veer nods and helps her. Veer tries to help Ishika when  Ishika asks Veer to wait,  while she heats the food for both of them. 

Veer nods his head and went towards the dining table. he observes Ishika as she cuts vegetables, adds spices, heats the food, and plates it for them both. They enjoy dinner together, with Ishika trying to talk to Veer, who is introverted.

 Ishika senses his tiredness and decides not to disturb him further. They finish dinner and retire to their rooms. As Veer lies in bed, he smiles, realizing it's the first time he's eaten with someone in a long time. Lost in thought, he falls asleep.

ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ ೋღ 🌺 ღೋ