19"

Camilla could hear the party down in the common room starting

Camilla could hear the party down in the common room starting. The music echoed up to her dorm where she sat with her broom across her knees.

It was no use.

Camilla's broom was well and truly broken. It was past the point of repair.

The crack spanned the entire length of the handle and was so deep it nearly cut it in half.

She had tried every spell she could think of, to try and fix it back together, but it was hopeless. Brooms didn't work the same as everyday inanimate objects, the magic had already seeped out of it.

Her parents would kill her.

Doris and Gavin Prewett could not afford to buy her a new one. That broom was all she had and it was completely unusable.

How could she possibly keep her captaincy now that she didn't even have her own broom? She would have to use one of the old training brooms they kept in the quidditch supply cupboard.

It was all James Potters fault.

Lily had poked her head around the dorm room, looking for Camila. The party celebrating their win was commencing and one of their captains was no where to be seen.

Lily walked over and sat beside Camilla.

"No use?" she said, looking to the deep crack along her broom and Camilla's wand on the floor she had discarded in defeat

She shook her head, "It's well and truly fucked"

Lily frowned and put her arm around Camilla, "come on, forget about it. Have a shower and change out of your quidditch gear and I'll do your hair and make up for tonight"

Camilla nodded, finally leaving her broom, dropping it down onto the floor.

She didn't want to write to her parents and tell them what had happened. She didn't want to burden them with it all.

"Where's Prewett?" James said looking around the common room that was starting to fill up quickly, people helping themselves to drinks. She wasn't where she usually was, with the other Gryffindor girls.

"She's been up in her dorm trying to fix her broom for the last two hours" Marlene said feistily, "No thanks to you"

"Well, it will be fixable, surely" James shrugged

"Well it is in fact, not fixable" Marlene said crossing her arms over her chest angrily, "You almost threw the whole match!"

Sirius didn't try and defend his best friend but remained silent. He agreed with Marlene. Its was a stupid thing to do.

"We still won" James reassured, trying to defend himself

"We were a player down! If McLaggen hadn't of caught the snitch then merlins knows what could have happened. And now Camilla doesn't have a broom" Marlene deadpanned, "she'll have to use a training broom. The girls good, amazing in fact, but she'll struggle to keep up on one of those old things"