25"

The large Christmas tree in the great hall had been put up and was decorated splendidly as always

The large Christmas tree in the great hall had been put up and was decorated splendidly as always. Small candles flickered upon it and beautiful and intricate ornaments were perfectly arranged upon its branches.

The temperature outside had dropped dramatically as they entered December making Quidditch training particularly in unenjoyable. Though Camilla wasn't in a poor mood. She felt quite content as her, Lily, Marlene, Mary and Alice made their way across the courtyard and out into the castle grounds and to the greenhouses for Herbology.

They were all clad in their hats, gloves and scarves yet it didn't seem to keep them as warm as they had hoped.

The Scottish December air was particularly piercing, with clear skies, no insolation of heat was  provided by a blanket of clouds. So as the girls reached the greenhouses, they welcomed the hit of warm air that soothed their frozen faces. They were fairly early, only a few students had turned up, of which included Peter who was speaking to a Hufflepuff classmate. James, Sirius and Remus had chosen to not carry on with Herbology so Peter had been forced to expand his circle.

Camilla didn't particularly enjoy Herbology, unlike Alice who seemed to have quite a fascination with the topic, but had decided that it would probably be an easy O or at worst, an E, in her NEWT's.

"Today we must exercise caution as we'll be tending to the Whomping Willows. As violent as it is valuable, the Whomping Willow will attack anything in its range. Let's use our common sense and try best to avoid injury. Tending to the Whomping Willow is a challenge, so watch as I navigate this perilous plant." Professor sprout said as she pulled out several sets of shears

Camilla and Marlene looked to each other warily and back to the saplings that already seemed pretty perilous.

Each students had picked up a pot and brought it over to their desk, holding it as far away from themselves as possible as to try and protect themselves from their thrashing branches.

"These are terrible" Mary said, ducking out of the way of a branch

"I would hate to imagine what coming into contact with the one planted on the Hogwarts ground would be like" Lily shivered, imagining being rendered helpless by the whomping willows merciless branches

"Now, listen up!" professor sprout called, getting the students attention, "It is very important, that with young trees, such as these, that you prune them from the base of the branch. If they are cut at the end of the branch, it is no good. Please make sure it is a clean and precise cut. These saplings, once we have finished studying them, will then be sold for a good amount of money as the species is particularly valuable. So heed the warning. Grasp a singular branch with your dominant hand, made sure to wear your dragon hide gloves, and grasp firmly, cutting the branch as far to the base as possible"

The girls had dreaded Herbology finishing, meaning they had to trudge the long walk over the grounds back up to the castle.

Walking across the grass, clad in her Gryffindor scarf, a pair of mittens and her hat, Camilla spotted someone flying around the quidditch pitch in the distance. She could tell who it was merely by the speed and skill they were flying at. No one else at Hogwarts was that good... well, apart from herself, she liked to believe.

"I'll catch you all in the common room in a bit" she said, coming to a standstill smiling to the girls

"where are you going?" Marlene asked

"The quidditch Pitch" Camilla replied

No one questioned her further and the girls made their way up to the castle.

"I'll save you a seat!" Mary called from a distance waving goodbye

Camilla walked on the stands and took a seat, wrapping her robes and cloak tighter around her body, rubbing her hands together to create some warmth through the friction, as she watched James fly around the pitch.

She had never been so jealous of somebody. Not only was James Potter an exceptional player, he had the best broom Camilla had ever seen. She so badly wanted the Cleansweep five. Still, she thought that perhaps one day, she'd be able to afford it, though she couldn't imagine it would be any time soon. She was still stuck on the training broom for merlins sake.

James had spotted a girl sat in the stands, strands of waved blonde hair poking out from underneath her orange bottle hat. He could recognised that hat anywhere. James vividly remembered the first time camilla had worn that orange bobble hat and James had relentlessly tormented her for it. He remembered her being very unimpressed by his teasing and claimed it was a Christmas present from her sister. James had thought it was absolutely horrendous, and it was. It was the most disgusting hat he had ever seen and the orange colour was a little too orange. But it was camilla's orange hat and whenever he would see that obnoxious shade of orange, which went awfully with the blonde of her hair, James always thought to Camilla and her disgusting hat. It always managed to extract a few chuckles from his lips whenever he was reminded off it.

He flew over and landed onto the stands.

"enjoying the view?" James asked with a smirk

Camilla rolled her eyes in annoyance. James loved to revel in her irritation.

Truth be told, Camilla had no idea why she decided to come over to the pitch when she saw James. She just wanted to.

"The view?" she replied, "Not overly"

James chuckled and sat beside her, "what are you doing out in the grounds?"

"I was coming back from Herbology" She explained

James raised an eyebrow, "You went to class with that hat on? You willingly  let people see you in that hat"

"Oh shove off Potter" she laughed slightly, nudging his arm with her elbow. James had always made fun of her hat, it was tradition for him to do so now.

"Have you got plans after dinner?" James asked looking at her properly

Both of their cheeks and noses were red from the cold.

"Plans?" she asked, "No, not tonight. I was going to come back down here later for a fly about, for about thirty minutes, but nothing after that"

"perfect" James said, "We're doing something fun"

"something fun?" Camilla asked, tilting her head curiously as James nodded

"Trust me, be in the common room ready after quidditch, and wrap up warm"

James didn't know why he wanted to spend more time with Camilla. He was very much enjoying their new found friendship. What would be the harm in just having some fun with a friend?

Camilla wasn't sure why she agreed to blindly make plans with James that evening. She supposed she would now class James as one of her friends. She couldn't think of any reason as to why she shouldn't make plans with a friend. What was the harm in that?