A Team Build Up

In the Hero's Forge, Claire stands in the center as her frustration builds. As the Shadow staff continued to ignore her commands, she glared at the staff and let out a harsh grunt. "Ugh! Why won't the shadow staff make a portal?" Claire asked, her tone showing clear signs that she was having a hard time. Draal steps over, placing his large hand on the staff to stop Claire from swinging it.

"Slow down young one. You must learn to empower the staff itself." Draal presses a metal finger to his temple. "Focus! Imbue it with your will." Draal demanded as Claire looked down at the staff in consideration. "The stronger the emotions, the greater..."

He is then cut off by grunts coming from another part of the room. Toby swung his fists into Aaarrrgghh!!!'s palm, ranting as he did so. Blinded by his jealousy, he hadn't noticed the tiny flinches Aaarrrgghh!!! made. Y/N glanced at him with suspicion. Ever since they came back from the Wumpas land, Aaarrrgghh!!! had hidden something from them, but she didn't want to talk about it in front of the team.

Y/N looked back at her magic spell book she raised her hand up at the dummy, F/N sitting on her shoulder watching, "Mrots dica." (Acid Storm) a small cloud appeared above it and acid started pouring down, the dummy melted away. She sighed, that was enough practicing her magic, and went to help Claire with Draal. She did hear Toby complain, "I don't get it. Claire just joined the team, and she gets to handle the super-sweet, megamatic portal staff?"

Toby said, venom dripping in his voice as he continued to throw punches. However, as he ranted, he had hit Aaarrrgghh!!! with more force than necessary, causing Aaarrrgghh!!! to wince and pull his hand back, resulting in Toby to swing another punch but missed and landed on his face. Aaarrrgghh!!! attempts to comfort, sending a low growl in concern. Toby wasn't even dazed, he lifted his head from the floor and slammed his fist against it.

"Pfft! I've been on Jim's side since day one and what do I get?" Toby says dramatically, rolling his eyes in annoyance. 

Y/N stood beside Draal as they watched Claire swinging the staff as Draal continued to help her. Well, sort of.  "Careful now." He warns, watching her swing it frantically. The two paying no attention to Toby and Aaarrrgghh!!! except for Y/N.

"Mmm... Got me, Wingman." Aaarrrgghh!!! states as he looks down at the boy, a hand to his chest. With a look of appreciation, Toby sits up but stays on the floor. "Aw, buddy!" Toby replied, smiling. They both turn their attention to Claire, who swung it around, fighting the air in hopes she'll achieve.

"The Shadow Staff is a weapon of great-- Whoa!... power." Draal yelped when the Shadow Staff was swung near his head, his arm shielding his face. He spat the word out 'power' as he glanced back at her.

On the sidelines, Toby imitates her with a broom swinging carelessly backward. The broom collided with the Troll's nose, not even flinching but instead letting out a small groan, Toby laughing nervously. Y/N giggles at this and turns back to Claire.

Claire training with the staff and Toby with the broom. Aaarrrgghh!!! simply used his pointer finger to counter every attack with the broom. As no progress was made, Claire grew annoyed, her fingers tightening around the staff as black covers the staff, reacting to her strong emotion. Y/N perked up at the change of color. "Why won't this thing work?" She cried out before she jumped back, and a small black opening appeared from the staff.

"She did it!" Aaarrrgghh!!! announced with a smile, causing Toby to turn with a gasp. "No way! How did she do that?" However, Toby didn't seem excited. Claire starts jumping on her toes, running up to it. "Whoa! I made a portal!" She goes to reach it but it fades.

"Did you see that? I made a portal!" She smiles in excitement, pointing the staff at Draal. Scared, he gently pushed it away. Claire grabbed Y/N's hand in excitement, maybe there was a chance YN could be her magic mentor. "Congratulations on your first trick." Y/N congratulated her as Toby stepped up to her, his jealousy and annoyance pouring out without his control.