Stand Alone Chapter: Ellie Mariano

Stand Alone Chapter: Ellie Mariano

Ellie realize it's almost time to prepare for dinner.

Upon realizing the long day she had again, Ellie just sighed as she removed her shirt that she used for her volleyball training earlier. Nakakaramdam siya ng matinding pagkatamlay at wala siyang gana na maghanap ng damit niya pambahay. She sighed on the thought its just her and brother this week since their mother would be out of town.

It's getting harder to look after her brothers...

"Ezra, nag-text ba sayo yung dalawa kung anong oras uuwi? Pang-ilang beses na 'to na di natin inabutan sa school yung mga yun." Ellie ask her younger brother when she come down into their kitchen, napailing-iling na lang siya sa busangot na ekspressyon na binalik sa kanya ni Ezra." Only if they could be more like you or Dad, I don't want them to be like other men. Matatalino sila, athletic din wag naman nila sayangin.

Napangisi si Ezra." "Sainyo nga di nakikinig sa akin pa kaya?"

"I-I call them then, baka madaling araw na naman umuwi." Buntong hininga ni Ellie saka binuksan ang ref para tumulong sa paghahanda ng dinner nila.But as she carry the ingredients to the counter she can't help but vent to her brother." I don't want another argument, pero sumosobra na sila."

"Ate El...Just don't think too much of it--- napagsabihan na sila."

"Tingin mo, nagkulang kami ni Mama?"

Ezra stop on his tracks with wide eyes, his usual sarcasm and snarkiness just left him after hearing that. Naagaw na lang niya ang hawak ng Ate niya saka tumalikod. Dumungaw siya sa bintana ng kitchen ng may matalim na ekspressyon." Hindi niyo kasalanan ni Mom. They did that to themselves--- and speaking of those devils they're here."

Ethan entered first, followed by their youngest Ezekiel.

Mabilis na sinalubong sila ni Ellie, pero walang pagbati o galit siyang naibato sa mga kapatid niya. Ellie just stood still as she watch them step by step as they close the door and remove their shoes. But atleast this time, she's happy that none come home with a bruised face nor smell of alcohol this time. Itinikom na lang niya ang bibig niya at hinayaan ang dalawa.

If they're going to talk---Ellie wants happy stories as they have warm dinner.

Ethan dislike the silence, so he ask. "Happy we're here?"

"Shut up, leave her be. Bubunganga na naman yan." Ethan sharply commented as he push passed his sister, and even without alcohol his agitation remain. At kahit na sa Kuya Ezra niya ay sinamaan niya 'to ng tingin. Ethan adjusted his backpack as he opened their ref to get some water with force." What? Why are you looking at me like that, Kuya? Nandito na kami, diba?"

"Don't talk to your Kuya like that. Magbihis na kayo." Ellie's voice became softer and lower, as she walk towards the plate cabinet." Tomorrow is a weekend, pero marami kayong hahabulin sa klase."

"Para yun lang, stop nagging." Ethan chuckled." You two are as annoying as fuck."

"We're your older siblings, do you want us to stay up all night waiting for you again? Kaya magtext o tumawag kayo." Ezra intervened eyeing his two brothers coldly. His knuckles ash white as each moments passed." Just stay at home tomorrow. Hindi kaya pinag-aaral ni Mom para magbulakbol, huwag kayong tatakas ulit para lang sa katarantaduhan niyo."

Ethan raised his hands mockingly." Yes, yes if you say so--- rinig mo yun, Ezekiel?"

Yet, despite how the attention is shifted to Ezekiel, the youngest Mariano was out of himself. His arms desparately clutching on his backpack as if his life depends on it. Sa katunayan nung tinawag ulit siya ng Kuya Ethan niya ay nabigla siya at napaatras." What? I don't care. I don't need dinner. Bahala kayo sa mga pangaral niyo, taataas na ko."

"Pero kasalanan mo 'to, bro. Nagpahuli ka kasi kay Sheena."

"Don't bring her up, Ethan."

"Bumaba ka ulit dito mamaya. We're cooking, so you will eat." Ezra finally step away from his brothers." And if you didn't hear me earlier, walang lalabas sa inyo bukas."

"Damn, I'm sleepy and hungry at the same time. I don't need to be here, right? Tawagin niyo na lang ako." Humikab si Ethan nang tumayo siya, sinabayan niya papalabas ang bunsong siyang kapatid habang nakaakbay dito." Gisingin niyo na lang ako pag may magandang pagkakaabalahan na dito. Okay ba, Ate Ellie? Kuya Ezra? Hindi naman ako aakyat ng bakod at magpapahuli katulad neto ni Ezekiel."

"Be on your best behaviour later..." Ellie bit her lip, looking away."

Ethan shrug, and then clumsily leaned on their youngest." Kung good mood ako."

"We should be saying that." Ezra snark." Sakit kayo sa ulo."

Kaso taliwas sa mapagbiro pero pabalang na pakikitungo ni Ethan ay iba ang reaksyon ni Ezekiel. Namutla siya at napalingon agad sa Ate nila. He clasp his backpack harder as if fearing he'll lose something precious inside. " Why are you putting out so many plates, may papuntahin ka dito?"

"I invited Sheena for dinner---is that a problem?"

Yet, Ellie didn't receive any proper response from her brother.

Hinayaan niya lang 'to. Ellie atleast know that two wouldn't go as far as being disrespectful to guest or anyone outside their family, and anyway her bestfriend Sheena is very patient to others.Ellie can rely on Sheena for emotional support because its hard to be the oldest sister. But as of late, Ellie feels as if everyone she knew starts to change. 

Everyone is changing. Her brothers---and even her best friend Sheena.

Author's Note:

Stand-alone chapters do not follow the timeline of regular chapters; events that would occur in this section may be scenes that already happened in the past or plotlines that would happen in the future.