♚13. CROWN

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." -Ferdinand Foch

J o r d y n T a m e

THE BLUE EYES of the man in front of me captured my full attention. It was getting late, yet Lexis never left my side. He sat on the corner of the hospital bed looking around the room. He was thinking about something, knowing him, it was hurting him inside.

No matter how strong he tried to be for me, I always saw through him. I grunted trying to sit myself back up causing Lexis to turn to me in worry.

"You need anything?" Lexis asks.

His voice was hoarse, and I could hear the edge of sleep laced into his words.

I smiled at him. "No, you sound tired."

Lexis narrows his eyes before turning away from me.

"I'm the Alpha, I have many responsibilities."
There was a noticeable amount gravitas in his tone.

"That doesn't mean you have to work yourself so hard." I retort causing him to sigh.

Don't get me wrong, I was glad that Lexis was here helping me through this. His actions spoke a lot to me but I couldn't help but feel guilty. He was tired but he is choosing to stay here and watch over me. I'm an adult, I could handle myself.

I scooted myself towards the edge of the bed trying not to harm my fractured wrist. The chills of what had happened earlier were still haunting my body but Lexis' presence helped me to put the chills at rest.

Lexis turns to me, watching me intently. I place my good hand on his shoulder, using it as support before I sat on his lap. His eyes widened before narrowing down at me. The blue in his eyes turning violet. They were dark and wicked but for some odd reason that gave me more confidence.

I was always the one to play it safe, but Lexis changed me in a way. He made me want to let loose which was ironic, speaking of how he is so closed in into his mind.

"Jordyn, what do you think you're doing?" He mutters, his voice rough.

"I wanna feel close to you," I start off. "You saved me, if you had not of been there-"

"It's my job to protect my pack."

"I know," I say shifting onto his lap. I could feel Lexis' strong hands travel down my waist before resting on my lower back.

"You don't want to go there with me." Lexis whispers. His words engulfing my body with excitement.

The game we liked to play was starting once again. It was strange, sometimes it was him whom would start it. Then, days like this it would be me. The tension between Lexis and I was like a rubber band. The band was being stretched and one of these days it was eventually going to snap.