♚49. SHATTER

"Ultimately love is everything

"Ultimately love is everything." —M. Scott Peck

J o r d y n T a me

"OH MY GOD," I whispered.

   She looks me up and down before a soft smile plasters on her face. "I'm so glad to finally meet you."

   I step away from her repulsed causing her to furrow her brows.

"Jordyn," My name felt strange coming from her lips. "you're safe with me. You can trust me."

"I don't know you..." I retorted.

"I know you," she responds. "I know a lot about you. When I had learned that Lexis had found another mate, I was so glad."

  I opened and closed my mouth not having the words to speak. She frowns at my silence before her eyes fall to the necklace around my neck.

"Oh my...that's it. The stone of life..." She says, her expression worrisome. "Jordyn you must leave now. This is why they invited you here. They suspect that you have it. You're lucky that they have no idea what it looks like."

"Wait, what?" I question touching the necklace's silver stone gently. "The stone of life? What the hell is that?"

Her face drops and she looks to the floor.

I grew irritated. "You have a lot of explaining to do. You had Lexis mourning your loss for years! He was accused of your death! And here you are in Union Square alive and well!"

She places a finger against my lips with a pleading look. "I'm trying to save you, so please don't make it hard." She begs.

I released a nervous breath. "Then explain.." I told her.

"It was years ago, Lexis and I were happy. I was very active in my activism for the rights of humans. One day, Lexis once talked about this necklace his mother had given to him to place on the neck of his mate and I dreamed of the moment he'd give it to me. Days later, when I was out with other immortals who believed in the rights of those in the settlements, I was approached by a union official..."

She stops her story before swallowing hard.

"I thought he was going to reprimand me for my stance on the status of mortals, but something else occurred. I was threatened. He told me that he would kill my brother...Alister. He told me he would kill him if I couldn't get Lexis to give me something they called the 'stone of life'." Vanessa's eyes traveled to the necklace around me before she looks into my eyes.

"I mean it was my brother. I loved Lexis with all my heart. He was my mate, but Alister was family. I told the official if he gave me a few more months that I would have the stone in my possession. I asked what the stone looked like, and all he could tell me was that Lexis had it. Months came and Lexis never gifted me the necklace." She says