♚19. DARK

"Hope is the thing with feathers,That perches in the soul,And sings the tune without the words,And never stops at all

"Hope is the thing with feathers,That perches in the soul,And sings the tune without the words,And never stops at all." | Emily Dickinson

                                              J o r d y nT a m e

    SOMETIMES IN LIFE people are put in heavy and fervent situations. It was almost like a test, and at the end, it determines the type of person someone is. I knew Lexis was a very intense and ardent person. His silence was to mask that. I knew this but I never would believe something so dangerous, yet truthful would escape his lips.

   We were on his bed. I was sitting on one side of his bed while he sat on the other. His dark room's atmosphere engulfed us both and made us silent. I didn't know what to say to him. A part of me wanted to go to him and have him lay me on his bed. The other part of me was angry and conflicted.

"You owe me an explanation..." I say breaking our silence.

I could hear Lexis take in a sharp breath. "What do you want to know?" He asks.

   I sigh before turning around to face him. His blue eyes were dark, his hair was still wet, and he was shirtless. The only thing different was that he was wearing sweatpants.

"How about everything?" I suggest in frustration. "Why don't you start from the beginning? I think that would be helpful." I add sarcastically.

Lexis takes another breath before looking into my eyes. "It was minutes before the liberation started..." He starts off. "My wolf was driving me insane. He was unstable. Well, more unstable than usual. He was craving something and so was I." Lexis sighs before continuing. "When the ceremony started, the moment I sat down the feeling got intense. It was so intense that I got up and started to search the crowd."

   I couldn't help but think back to the liberation. I thought about how he didn't even wait for his time to choose who he wanted. He just broke the rules and looked around. His eyes met mine.

"I then saw you. Damn, you were so beautiful. You don't know how hard I had to fight my wolf from taking control. It was you I was craving and I knew that you were mine. Then again, I knew that people being with their mates wasn't common anymore. I knew that it was rare to even have a human mate. I also knew then that the union was planning on outlawing mates. I was debating on whether or not it was safe to claim you. I didn't care then. I did the most irrational thing I could do and I chose you. I wanted you." Lexis explains.

I averted my eyes to the floor before speaking. "Lexis if we are mates then why did you vote for the prohibition of mates?" I question him.

Lexis balls his fists together before letting out an exasperated breath. "I thought I was protecting you. I thought that if I had voted to keep mates it would look suspicious. I wanted it to look like no outcome would affect us."