♚30. BURN

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one

- Elbert Hubbard 

L e x i sB l a d e

THERE ARE MOMENTS in life where you fear for the mistakes of others...then you realize it wasn't their poor judgment you should be fearing but your very own.

"Alpha, something has happened."

It was as if a sharp noise erupted in my ears causing me to tune out the rest of the information. I didn't need to hear any more. It was not even minutes into the meeting before I felt the veins in my body begin to pulse in a series of contractions. I felt my wolf's overbearing senses dominating my own.

I just stood still not even keeping up with the subject of conversation which was unlike me.

The members of the union watched me with sympathetic and worried eyes as one of their messengers interrupted the meeting to inform me of the news.

"The keepers of the house noticed that she and Johnathan were not back yet..."

"We instantly got our best guards to look for them..."

"You must understand that we take these things seriously. You guys are our responsibility since you both are guests..."

"They said they found her..."

"The limousine had exploded but she made it out fine..."

"The driver was killed..."

While the messenger spoke I looked closely at the union members that surrounded me. Their glazed eyes and unsettling looks repulsed me. I wanted to wipe those expressions off their faces so I could see the condemnation that they hid in those sadistic eyes.

"Where is she?" I asked, trying so hard to constrain my anger I growled almost.

The messenger's eyes clouded a bit before taking a breath. "She's at the house where her wounds are being treated-"

I cut him off by getting up causing all those in the room to watch me intensely. "I apologize, Chancellor, something much more serious has come up."

He nods, his eyes becoming more serious.

The Chancellor of the union capital was one of the most powerful positions in the world. He is the 3rd rank in the supernatural union and is a big factor in the decisions that impact their relations with the packs. He is the highest ranking official I was ever able to speak to in my time of being Alpha. Though I loathe him, I respect him at the same time. The story of his rise to power is quite astonishing actually.

"Of course, Alpha Lexis. Alpha female Jordyn's safety and protection is our priority. I apologize for what had occurred, and I am sure there will be consequences if found that a crime has taken place."