♚28. SOLACE

"Never was anything great achieved without danger

"Never was anything great achieved without danger." ~Niccolo Machiavelli

J o r d y nT a m e

THE ICE COLD breath of the union official thrived against my neck. I scrunched up my nose in discomfort as he took my hand in a dance.

"You are going to be a lovely Alpha female." He starts off. "But will you get too influenced by your Alpha?"

I stiffen at his words before meeting his eyes with a daring gaze. "Pardon me sir, but what is that supposed to mean?"

He chuckles at my offense before gripping my hand once more and spinning me around. My back was turned to him and my eyes met the gaze of Lexis who was watching us closely from far holding something in his hands.

"You see that man right there..." The official whispers. "He is a man who is humbled but prideful at the same time. He doesn't believe in the union's status over the packs...and we know that."

I brush the official off of me before turning back around to face him. "And you think I can change his mind? What makes you think I would do that?" I ask.

He must be out of his mind if he believed for a second I would defend them on their behalf so they can achieve Lexis' trust. The union is not only putting our pack in danger by allowing an unnecessary war to occur, but they have bombarded the settlements with degrading and cruel acts towards the humans.

I will not stand for an organization that does not carry any type of morality.

"Jordyn," He sighs. "whether you believe it or not, we are the ones with the upper hand here. I would hate for your family or friends to suffer because of your defiance..."

I narrow my eyes at his threat, my heart beating fast. "Are you testing how far I would go to protect those I love?" I mutter under my breath but enough for him to hear.

The official gives me a mischievous look. "Welcome to the hierarchy..." He tells me before walking over to where the majority of the officials stood.

I stand there dumbfounded not being able to believe the severity his threat could mean. A familiar touch protectively embraces my waist causing me to sigh in relaxation.

"Are you alright?" Lexis' husky voice pleasured my ears.

I nod facing my body towards him with a bright yet artificial smile. "Yeah, I'm alright."

Lexis and I stand in silence while looking at the crowds of people around us. Councilwoman Tarah was accompanied by other council members in a conversation. Brooke, Lisa, and Able were in a corner laughing with Samia mysteriously nowhere to be found, and pack members were still passionately dancing to the music. Confetti fell from the sky causing an uproar of cheers, yet the union officials' gazes were all I could focus on. They watched us. They watched us like the manipulative group they were.