♚32. AMOROUS (Part I)

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

— James Baldwin

J o r d y n T a m e

    I WATCHED AS Lexis paced back and forth around the room. Our stuff was packed and stacked against the opposite corner of me, and the room now looked as if we were never here to begin with. I sighed looking away from my Alpha before glancing over at the small window in the room.

I knew this day would come.

     I knew there would finally be a day where our truth would be revealed to our enemies. The thing that causes shivers to run up my spine was the fact that the union always knew. They knew Lexis and I were mates since the beginning.

All the hiding was pointless.

   I waited patiently for Lexis to give me further news of our departure from the union capital. I wanted to leave as soon as possible. At any moment the union would be here to take me away so the longer we stayed, the greater danger I was in.

   Lexis suddenly stopped pacing and turned his gaze towards me. His sharp jawline clenched, a conflicted gleam lingered in his eyes. My eyes filled with worry causing his blue orbs to soften.

He sighs before words come out of his mouth. "We need to go. C'mon..." His words were fast and urgent without a trace of emotion.

     I got up to grab my suitcase and bags, but Lexis beat me to it by carrying most of our belongings including mine. The only thing in my hand as we slyly rushed out of the mansion was my small duffel bag.

     As Lexis and I approached a fair enough distance from the house, he grabbed my hand as if he heard something in the adjacent woods.

"Do you think we'll make it to Danger's aircraft fast enough by running?" I asked doubtfully as I looked at the dense forest around us.

    There was something unusually calm about the setting around us which ironically overwhelmed me. Maybe because Lexis and I were in a situation that required focus and urgency. There was nothing calm about what was going on right now. Moments like these are when one's surroundings tries to fool them into thinking their unassailable when the truth is danger was walking around the next corner.

    Lexis turns to me before a look of indecisiveness corrupts his blue eyes. It was strange because he was a man that was always so assure of himself. He always knew of his next move and he controlled his objectives.

"Jordyn..." My name comes out of his mouth so smoothly it almost puts me in a trance. A trance that could have made me oblivious to what was occurring now. "There comes a time where risks need to be made in order to accomplish difficult tasks. We aren't in a position that gives us second chances."