♚15. GAMBLE

"With but few exceptions, it is always the underdog who wins through sheer willpower

"With but few exceptions, it is always the underdog who wins through sheer willpower."-Johnny Weissmuller

J o r d y n T a m e

I SIGH IN relief as I eye the artwork in front of me. My hands were red and dry from painting. My injured wrist stung in reaction to my recent movements. Paint was splattered all over my ripped jeans and midriff. I bite down at the end of my paintbrush debating whether any more color was needed.

A knock captures my attention causing my eyes to dart to my door. I stare cautiously hoping that it was anyone but Lexis. I saved him from his own beast but he still left me. I did not know what in him allowed him to refuse to stay. I just wanted him too. I needed him there. I was just as shocked as he was over me having the ability to heal him. How could I heal him? How did I behold such power?

"Jordyn, i-it's Brooke. We need to talk."

I am taken back at her words. I haven't seen her since the attack, and her wording sounded awfully a lot like Talia's text message.

I sigh before heading over to my door and opening it. Brooke is standing before me with her arms crossed and her icy eyes narrowed. Her long blonde hair was in a high ponytail and she was wearing a white dress with white sandals.

"Oh my gosh...is that blood? Are you hurt?" She questions, grabbing my arm with worried eyes.

I shrug her off gently before shaking my head. "It's paint. Mrs. Gemini supplied me with some this morning."

Brooke narrows her eyes once again. "But you didn't show up to school?"

I nod. "I went early before the scheduled time, but when I got there I received a message from Nurse Revira. She advised me last minute not to go today. My head injury-"

"Head injury?" Brooke says to herself in awe. "You never told me any of this."

"You never asked, Brooke." I retort.

"Yeah but-"

"If you really wanted to know what happened to me, you knew where to go. Just admit it, you didn't care enough." I say bluntly, cutting her off.

Brooke averts her eyes away from mine. "I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry. A-After that day I didn't talk to anyone. You can ask Lisa. I-I was so petrified and scared. It could have been me." She says with her lip trembling. "It was my fault. I moved away and I let the outcome be you. I'm sorry, Jordyn."

I nod my head to the side as if inviting her in. She walks inside with no hesitation before sitting on one of my mini couches.

"Stop blaming yourself. It doesn't matter if you moved or not. They weren't out for you." I tell her before sitting on the edge of my bed.