𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

﹌﹌﹌﹌

I woke up to the warm embrace of sunlight filtering through the window

As I opened my eyes, the harsh reality dawned on me. 

There was no one beside me, no familiar voice murmuring "Good morning, Saffron" or "Saffron, wake up." 

Slowly, I placed my feet on the cool floor and made my way to the small balcony adjoining my room. 

Leaning against the cold iron railing, I closed my eyes, inhaling the fresh scent of flowers and the lingering aroma of incense from the nearby temple. 

An inexplicable yearning to hear his voice washed over me, but I pushed it aside, choosing instead to focus on the tasks of the day.

After freshening up in the washroom, I descended the stairs to find my parents busy in the kitchen, preparing a meal. 

The sight brought a smile to my face, reminiscent of happier times before Dheer's passing.

"I'm hungry, Baba," I called out from the staircase.

"Just a moment, Rajkumari ji, I'm coming with your favorite Chole Bhature," Baba's voice echoed from the kitchen, eliciting a grin from me. 

Seating myself at the dining table, I couldn't resist teasing my sister.

"You've spoiled the choti chipkali, she's still sleeping," I exclaimed loudly.

"Quiet, both of you! I woke up early," she retorted, her eyes betraying her lack of rest.

"Didn't sleep well? Your eyes look swollen," I observed, concern evident in my voice as I pulled her to sit beside me.

"I was working on an assignment and research," she replied, attempting to brush off her fatigue.

"You should have asked for my help. After all, I'm free," I insisted.

"You arrived only yesterday after such a long journey; I thought you'd be tired," she explained, her gaze softening with concern. 

Before I could respond, Baba interjected with a playful comment about our sibling banter.

After a hearty meal, I decided to take a stroll near the Ganga Ghat, realizing it had been a while since my last visit. 

Stepping outside, I was greeted by a chilly breeze that made my lips quiver and tousled my hair. 

As I reached the steps of the Ghat and sat down, I watched the playful dance of the river's waters with a sense of calm. 

Lost in my thoughts, I rested my head against the concrete wall beside me, momentarily closing my eyes.

"I love you."

Startled, I opened my eyes wide, searching frantically for the source of the voice. 

My heart raced, and my breath caught in my throat.