CHAPTER THIRTY

Amour

It took seconds for my body to accept the invitation of the gravity. The smokeless air stroked my warm skin as I jumped out. I felt as if I had entered another galaxy - an uncontaminated one. The collapse happened in a trice. Our figures turned and fell together, connected by our entwined hands. My eyes were closed. All I sensed during my way down was the cool gust of wind and Amarion's cosy grasp on my hand.

My shoulders and back slightly hit the mattress, causing an abrupt spasm. I squeezed my eyelids tighter and gulped. But the touch of Amarion's skin produced a smile on my face. All of the feelings in existence were exploding inside me. A grevious weight seemed to be lifted from my heart. The gloomy corners of it were illuminated by the light of adoration.

Falls are known to shatter into fragments but I could feel the scattered pieces of mine joining. My heart was beating unlike it had before. With every move, enthusiasm and ecstasy rushed in my veins. Fraught and sadness seemed alien to me.  There was only one name reverberating in my mind, Amarion.

I opened my eyes and witnessed the broken casement above. The shards of the glass were still suspended. The gleam from the street lights reflected the tiny remainings of the window. The sky was murky but the smoke emerging from the building was darker. The surroundings felt surreal. Was I dreaming? Couldn't it be one of those realistic nightmares? Was he really beside me and holding my hand? Did I actually confess my love for him? Was this even happening?

I closed my eyes again to make sure I was sane and on planet earth. I sighed and smiled. It really was the reality. Suddenly, I felt twinges on my sides. As if something sharp was penetrating my skin. Gradually,  the pain increased and stinging sensations followed. Amarion pulled me towards him. My injured side pressed against his torso. The ache increased causing me to whimper. I opened my eyes and looked at him. He seemed worried. Perhaps,  he had noticed my discomfort. I stared deeply in his hazel eyes- they contained my contentment. And as I peered more profoundly, the spang from the anonymous wounds began fading. But then, agony took over those beautiful lenses and they struggled to stay awake. I reluctantly gazed at my happiness. His grasp on my hand loosened and the gateways to my bliss closed.
I moved my hand to his cheek and whispered his name which tasted like honey on my tounge. But he appeared to pass out. His breathing was calm yet traces of affliction covered his face. I rubbed my thumb along his cheek and said his name in a hushed tone. He couldn't hear me. I decreased our distance and pecked his lips, forgetting about my pain.

Unwillingly, I slipped my hand from his and got up using my hands. I looked down at the source of pain and witnessed blood. I placed my hand on the wound which was covered by my shirt. My palm turned ensanguined. A few pieces of broken glass laid on the mattress. They must've plummeted when I shattered the window. Gladly, they're were none at Amarion's side.

I shook Amarion to wake him but he remained unmoved. I then looked around for help. The surroundings were evacuated. Dreary streetlights, a burning building, a starless sky and two injured people in love with each other, nothing else. I kept on looking for origins of aid but to my dismay, none came to sight. I placed Amarion's head in my lap and shouted "help!"

His respiration was getting lower and my heart beat increased. Panic began to take over me. "Help!" I cried countless times. I could jump off the truck and searched for help but I also didn't will to leave him there. What if something happened? Tears brimmed my eyes and I yelled for rescue again. I felt impotent. The guy who loved me so dearly was lying injured in front of me and his respiration was dropping. All I could do was yelp. Frustrated, I groaned . "Anyone! Please!"

Then I heard noises from vehicles. They seemed nearby. "Help!" I shouted continously. Two men emerged from behind the building. I tried getting on my feet but the pain on my side didn't allow me to.

"Here!" I waved my hand and one of them noticed me. He brought his walkie talkie close to his mouth and gestured the other to approach me. I wrapped my arms around Amarion's neck and smiled. The man was a police officer. He climbed the truck and examined Amarion. A few other people including firemen and medical rescuers, reached us. They pulled Amarion away from me but I resisted. "He'll be fine with us lady" I heard one of them say but I ignored and grabbed Amarion's hand. "Let her be with him." "But she is injured too". I could hear them argue. Tears kept on flowing. I couldn't think straight. I didn't want to move away from him. I needed him, he needed me. He was half of my heart and he was struggling. I couldn't leave,  I just couldn't.

The men allowed me to stay with him as they witnessed my stubbornness. They brought a stretcher to carry Amarion to the ambulance. I moved closer to Amarion and kissed him on the cheek. Some of my tears fell on his countenance. It was agonising to see him that way but I hoped he'd make it, we'd make it. His eyelids parted a little as he listened to me and closed them back.

"We'll make it" I said.