Will It ever Change?

Hannah drove up to her new apartment building that her and her mother moved into only a few days ago. She turned the engine off and took a deep breathe before climbing out of the car and into the building.

Soon she came to her apartment door, put the key into the lock and went in. She listen for any sign of life and heard nothing. She quietly came in and closed the door behind her. As soon as the door clicked shut a light came on.

A older lady was standing there in a really flimsy night dress and had makeup smudge all over her face.

"Hi Mom."

"Where the hell were you?! I waited for my dinner but it never came. Now why is that? hm? Wanna explain why I nearly starved to death? That my ungrateful daughter only thinks about herself?"

Hannah just stood there, frozen in place, not knowing what to do.

"Who know Hannah? This world doesn't revolve around you. I don't know what makes you think you're all high and mighty and better than everyone else. But it needs to stop. I'm your mother and I need care and support too but all you bring me is disappointment."

Hannah looked at the floor, trying to hide the tears that spilled over and was now free falling down her face. 

The right side of her face suddenly stung with a sharp pain. She looked up and say the face of her mother looming over her. "You ungrateful child. After everything I've done for you, this is how you pay me back?" She spat in Hannah's face. 

Hannah reached up to wipe the spit away but her mom grabbed her wrist and dug her nails into the tender part of her wrist. She looked up into her mothers red rimmed eyes. Before Dad died, those eyes were full of life and love. Now? Alcohol and meth. It's amazing how time can change someone. 

"I should have left you a long time ago. There are days where I wish it was you who died instead of your father. But no. I'm here stuck with you." 

And without another word her pushed Hannah around. Hannah stumbled to the floor, bouncing her head off the coffee table. She laid there, trying to get her wits back but her eye exploded with pain. She looked up and say her mothers fist coming at her again. And again and again and again. 

Soon it stopped and Hannah just laid where she was and didn't move. Tears burned as they fell down her face. She heard the door open and slam shut. 

She didn't know where her mom went nor did she care. Soon the crying stopped and she tried to get up. She gasped in pain as she pulled herself up. 

She walked to the bathroom and listened to the water run while leaning against the sink. She looked up at the mirror and she felt sick at what she saw. 

She saw a deathly pale 18 year old girl, with blue dead eyes and a pale mouth. Her face was black and blue and was sporting a black eye. 

She climbed into the cold shower and gasped in pain as the water hit her tender skin where bruises were forming, turning to a deep blue and purple. 

She didn't take long in there and she shut the water off and wrapped herself up carefully in a towel. She went into her room and climbed into bed still wrapped in the towel. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The next morning Hannah got ready for school as if nothing ever happened. Her mother never came home last night but she didn't care. 

In the bathroom she tried to cover everything up and she did a pretty good job of it. When she went to cover up her black eye she gasped at how tender it really was. She couldn't cover it, it hurt too much. She decided to leave it and came up with a story on how she got it.