17. The Awaited Message

Sakura POV
(Dinner time...)

Gobble Gobble Gobble Munch Munch

Tsukishima, Yamaguchi, Natsuki, and I stare at Hinata and Kageyama as they vigorously devour their meal. And I thought they were hungry yesterday...But today they're consuming half of the food on the table.

"How can they have such a huge appetite?" Tsukishima comments in disgust.

"I'm gonna puke..." Yamaguchi's face turns pale as he watches them eat.

"Kageyama! Hinata! Stop eating like that, it's going to make me sick," Natsuki shouts at them.

I don't say anything, but I don't think I can handle another day of watching them vacuum up the food. Hinata and Kageyama are so skinny. Where does all the food go?

"Oi, eat up! Even if ya gotta choke it all down!" Nishinoya comes over to our table after hearing our conversation. He looks at us and then points his chopsticks at Hinata and Kageyama. "You have to eat just like them!"

"I'm seriously going to barf," Yamaguchi puts his hand over his mouth as all the color in his face drains out.

Nishinoya pats Yamaguchi on the back and he almost falls off his seat. "If you're like this now, what do you think will happen when it gets really hot?"

"We won't vomit," Tsukshima responds much to Nishinoya's annoyance.

"No! You'll shrivel up and die!!" Nishinoya angrily retorts to Tsukishima.

"Does it really matter how much we eat?" Natsuki mumbles as she takes another bite of her food. "If we eat too much, then we'll be too full to do anything."

Compared to Kageyama and Hinata, I'm probably just eating 1/4 of the amount of food on their plate. But that's enough for me. Nishinoya looks over at my plate and puts more food on it. "Sakura! You have to eat more too!"

"Noya!" I frown at the food that he places in front of me. He put a huge chicken leg and more curry on my plate. "I can't eat all of this!"

"You gotta eat more in order to get stronger!" Nishinoya proudly proclaims to everyone.

"Or shorter," Tsukishima bluntly says out loud for everyone to hear.

"DAMMIT TSUKISHIMA!!!!" Nishinoya's anger rises. Tsukishima folds his arms with a condescending sneer that gives off the 'I'm better than you' feeling.

"Oi Nishinoya, calm down before Daichi begins yelling at us like yesterday," Tanaka tries to reason with Nishinoya.

"IT'S HIS FAULT!!!" Nishinoya yells and tries to escape Tanaka's grasp. From behind Nishinoya, a smiling yet angry Daichi appears and grabs Nishinoya's collar.

"We will be right back," Daichi keeps his scary smile as he walks out of the room and shuts the doors.

"WHAT THE HELL NISHINOYA?! Daichi lectures Nishinoya from the outside walls. Everyone ignores them and continues eating.

"Can't I get a day without any chaos?" Natsuki yawns and finishes eating her meal.

I silently nod my head as I finish the food on my plate.

(At Night...)

I walk to the vending machines to get drinks for everyone in the first year room. Sadly, I'm terrible at rock-paper-scissors and ended up walking all the way here after taking a shower. Just more exercise for me, I guess.

I scan the vending machine for the drinks everyone wanted. Strawberry milk for Tsukishima, Natsuki, and Kageyama. Orange juice for Hinata, green tea for Yamaguchi, and lemonade for myself. I press all the buttons for the drinks. I sigh, making me do all their work like a slave.

*Buzz*

My phone vibrates in my pocket. Grrr... It's probably Natsuki asking where her drink is. I try holding all the drinks in my hands and reach for my phone. But once I see the phone screen, I drop all the drinks in shock.

It says I have a new message....A text from Mihane. I open the message to check if it really is from her.

Sorry that I couldn't reply immediately >~< I'm really busy with club activities -.- Besides, don't be so mushy, we were always friends. I go to Aobajousai High ^.^ Maybe we can still see each other sometime in the future. You better text back this time ;)

-Mihane

She always did enjoy using emojis. I smile. I'm glad that she's still the same friendly person I used to know. This time, I decide to text her back immediately.

Nishinoya POV

I could really use a soda right now. I love that blasting tingling feeling it gives my tongue! I joyfully walk to the vending machine and see a bunch of drinks on the ground.

"???" That seems strange. I look up and see Sakura texting on her phone. She's smiling at the phone screen. I've never seen her with that expression on her face. Is it a friend?...She doesn't have a boyfriend...Does she!? She's too young for a relationship!

My craving for soda disappears and I take another peek at Sakura from behind the corner. Maybe it's best that I don't interrupt her and whoever she's texting. It's not my business...I try to tiptoe away, but trip on the bottle of orange juice. Crap?! Did I seriously --

Thud!

Ouch. I'm so lame. I made it obvious that I'm here. It's too late to try and run away now.

"Who's there?" Sakura surveys the hallway and ends up finding me on the ground. "Noya? Is that you?" She crouches and looks at me.

"Yep, it's me," I answer as I rub my aching head. I notice that her cellphone is still in her hands. Is she still texting that person? "Who are you texting?" I ask the question that has been in my mind.

"It's a close friend who goes to Aobajohsai," she says with a sweet smile. I feel an ache in my heart that hurts more than when I fell on the ground. I can never make her look at me like that.

"Oh, really...?" I reply back with disinterest. I don't want to know who it is...If she's texting a boy...My heart twists all over again. "What's with all the drinks on the ground?" I change the topic.

Her expression that was happy earlier changes and becomes gloomy. "I had to get all the drinks for everyone in the first years' rooms because I lost at rock-paper-scissors," she pouts with her cheeks puffed up and her lips puckered.

She's so adorable the way she does that. "Hahaha, your face is like a fish!" I laugh as I watch her face turn pink in the dark. Did I say something mean?

"Laugh all you want, but rock-paper-scissors isn't an easy game," she frowns, "here, try a game with me." She makes a fist with one hand and puts her palm under the fist.

"Sure," I grin and get ready for a game.

"Rock....Paper....Scissors!"

I put out rock and she puts out scissors. I lightly hit her fingers. "I win."

"Again!" She exclaims and the corners of my mouth twitch up.

"Okay!" I grin.

"Rock....Paper....Scissors!"

I put out paper and she puts out rock. I'm right. She's so easy to read. She doesn't hide anything with the faces she makes. I wrap my hand around her fist.

"I win again!" I cheer and see her face turns completely red. I follow her eyes and notice that I still have my hand wrapped around hers. I'm so embarrassed, this is just like the time I hugged her when Asahi scared us.

"C-can y-you help me pick up the drinks?" she stutters as she begins to pick up the drinks that are still on the ground. She picks up a drink, but accidentally drops it on the floor again.

"Yeah sure," I chuckle and help her pick up all the drinks.

Even if she really is dating someone, I still want her by my side. She has always been there for me ever since I first met her. When I'm depressed or when I'm happy, she has always been by my side. I don't ever want her to leave me.

I've realized....I like Sakura.