30. Guardian Deity

Sakura POV

I stare in amazement as I stand with my camera. That was so cool...N-Nishinoya is so cool!!! The way he managed to save the volleyball really shows that he's the best libero in the Miyagi prefecture.

"Sakura, your boyfriend is the best!" Mihane says in awe seeing the impressive move that Nishinoya pulled off, "I...I want to become a libero now!" Mihane's eyes sparkle with a passion I've never seen before.

"What position do you play Mihane?" I ask and she sulks hearing my words.

"I'm just a middle blocker. Pretty much a regular player," she says with a dejected tone, "but now I want to be a libero just like Nishinoya," she grins ear to ear, "I'm glad you're dating Nishinoya."

My ears twitch hearing "dating" and "boyfriend." I turn to see a smiling Mihane and try to clear my throat, "Mihane, I'm not dating Nishinoya..." I tell her, but she keeps her Cheshire smile.

"But you like him right?" she says and my face turns different shades of red. H-how does she know?! Am I that obvious?

"N-no I don't..." I try to convince her badly and look at anything but her.

"Yes you do. Come on, Sakura. I've known for a long time already," Mihane grins and my shoulders slump down...It's true, she knows me really well.

"I-I like him," I timidly say and Mihane giggles seeing my reaction.

"Now, that wasn't so hard was it?" she says with a playful smile, "That means there's no problem with your love life! I think you should tell him," Mihane happily says and I jerk back in shock.

"I can't do that! I don't want to ruin our friendship. Besides, Noya probably doesn't see me that way. No guy ever has. Unlike you, I'm not popular," I say with a hint of jealousy. Compared to Mihane, I was never the super outgoing person. The reason why I became more talkative and social was through Mihane's friendly personality.

I can hear the background noise of the match, but my mind is focused on that something else. Mihane and my past. The troubles in middle school flash through my mind and I freeze. Everyday was torture back then. I tried to support Mihane even when she wasn't there, and that led to my downfall...To me not wanting to be involved with anyone.

Mihane notices my change in mood, "Sakura. Let me tell you these two things. Nishinoya is different from the people in our middle school," she says looking me in the eye, "I can tell that he's one of the reason why you're able be around others again," she says and hesitates on her next words, "and I know what happened once I moved schools. You don't have to lie about who I really am, I don't want you to do that," Mihane says frustrated, "Don't let my problem control you. You are you. Don't lie for me. I've changed...I became strong too, so please don't think you have to handle everything yourself," Mihane says and stands up from her seat.

"Where are you going?" I ask her and she gives me a sad smile, "I have to get ready for my match. You should go to Nishinoya and congratulate him," she gives me a wave. I stand there not uttering a word...I couldn't say anything to her, and all I could do was watch from a distance.

Nishinoya POV
(After match)

"Natsuki, I'm going to meet up with Sakura," I tell her and she tilts her head confused.