31. Flavorless

Sakura POV
(Next day - Aobajohsai v.s. Karasuno)

Third Set 19- 21

I continuously take pictures for the boy's volleyball team from the stands and see Mihane pass by as she walks down the stairs. "Mihane, what are you doing here?" I ask as I adjust my camera for another photo, "Don't you guys have a match right now?" I turn to her happily but notice the gloomy shadow on her face as she doesn't say anything.

She walks over to me and leans on the railing as she watches the game. "The match here is very close," Mihane points out and takes a deep breath, "I've already finished my match," she quietly says, "We lost our match against Niiyama Joshi," she tells me and laughs it off with a smile, "I thought we had a chance to go to nationals, but that hope quickly faded when the match ended. I guess I know why Niiyama Joshi's team is seen as the best girls' volleyball team. They all specialize in a certain skill and know our weaknesses," Mihane looks at the boys play and mumbles, "even the New Queen's weaknesses," I turn off my camera to give my full attention to my best friend who isn't herself.

I don't know what to say to her. I've never played a competitive sport like volleyball, and the Mihane I know and will alway avoid any eye contact with people when she's keeping things to herself. I give her a pat on her shoulder to comfort her, "It's okay, Mihane, you tried your hardest didn't you?" I give her a big smile and I can see tears well up in her eyes.

"Sakura...Why are you always there for me? I don't understand. Everyone started to bully you because you were hiding something from them...You hid the truth that I'm no more than an otaku freak. You didn't have to hide that stupid truth either. You could have just let them talk bad about the fake 'popular' me," she breaks down, "Not just you but Misaki too...Why is everyone always trying to help me? I feel so useless...But," she starts to cry, "why do I have to hide my faults?"

"It's not hiding your faults," I straightforwardly answer, but pause for a few seconds, "Besides, you're not an otaku freak. You're just my fun, loving, otaku friend that I care about. I could have never gone against you just because others might, and because of that, I don't have any regrets of what I did...It was all to protect you. After all, we are friends," I say as I hold out a fist

"Sakura...What are you...?" Mihane asks as she notices the fist in front of her.

"A good friend of mine said it's a fist bump, it's what friends do," I tell her, thinking about the time Natsuki did the same back at the foothill store. "I'm sorry I didn't reply back to your letters. It was my own selfishness, believing that it would bring back the good memories of the past when living in the horrible present, but now I've realized that I was hurting you by never replying," I say as I hold out my fist waiting for her to bump it back, "Let's be friends again."

Mihane stares at my fist. "Sakura, you're amazing. You're always there to comfort others and be a pillar of support to them...I wish I could be like that." Mihane says and forms a fist. "I'm sorry too, for letting all this happen. If I was never so prideful like I was in the past, this would never happen," she bumps my fist, "but now I'm true to myself now, so let's start anew," The two of us smile as our friendship grows stronger from our conversation.

"Ha~" Mihane sighs aloud to change the mood. "I'm so jealous of Nishinoya, he gets to see you all the time. I wish I went to the same school as you," Mihane whines with her hands behind her head. Her personality returns back to her usual, "Let's focus on the match. Your crush is out there playing," she winks as she turns back to the game. "The match is tied. The first person to get a deuce wins. I wonder who it'll be?" she wonders curiously.

"Karasuno, of course!" I grin as I continue to take pictures. Karasuno will win.

A few points later...