18. Starting Players

Sakura POV

"This is the starting line-up we'll use against Nekoma," Coach Ukai announces to the team. Standing on the court is Asahi, Daichi, Hinata, Kageyama, Tanaka, Tsukishima, and Nishinoya.

"This line up hasn't been playing together for that long, so I don't think this is going to go smooth and easy," Natsuki says as she checks off everything on her notebook with a red pen. "Remember this: The team who can work together is the team who will win. Skills are important, but teamwork is just as important."

Coach Ukai nods in agreement. "It seems like there were all sorts of problems before I came here, too," Coach Ukai glances at Asahi and Nishinoya and looks back at the team, "Just because you've got a skilled Libero and your ace has returned doesn't automatically mean you can easily win."

The team is tense until Coach Ukai says his final words. "Regardless of how well you compete, this is a match between the Crows and their old nemesis, the Cats. So fight on!"

"Right!" The team shouts after listening to Natsuki and Coach Ukai's speech.

Coach Ukai pulls Takeda-sensei along in front. "You won't have another chance to show your gratitude for this practice match. So thank your sensei for setting it up!"

"!? You don't have to--" Takeda-sensei nervously starts.

"Thank you!!!" Everyone bows their heads down and Takeda-sensei jerks back in surprise.

Natsuki hands a sweeper to Ennoshita and me. "For some more training before the match...MAKE THIS PLACE SPOTLESS!" Natsuki evilly smiles and points at everyone in the room. Everyone turns pale as they shiver in fear at Natsuki's smile.

(20 minutes later)

"Hinata, Kageyama, are you two done putting the nets away?" I ask them and they nod their heads. Even though I'm not a volleyball player, I still help out with cleaning. However, I never knew how hard it could really be until a few days into this camp.

"Asahi-san." I turn around to see Nishinoya. Why did I have to respond to his voice? He wasn't even talking to me. Now I feel pretty dumb...

"Yes....?" Asahi jumps and timidly answers Nishinoya. I swear, looking at those two, they're polar opposites. One's tall, the other is short. One's energetic, the other is shy...Polar opposites.

"Suga-san aside, don't you think you should apologize to Ennoshita and others?" Nishinoya asks Asahi in his not-so-quiet voice.

"Geh?!" Asahi says in a nervous tone.

"Ehhh?!" Ennoshita responds when he hears his name.

"We're not pretending to be friends though, y'know," Nishinoya loudly says and starts stomping his feet. Hinata and Kageyama turn their heads to the direction of the noise. "THE STRONG ONES ARE THE ONES WHO STAND ON THE COURT! THAT'S ONLY NATURAL!!!" All the second year boys (except Tanaka) and Asahi flinch from the loud Nishinoya. Are they talking about the starting team line-up?

"It's--It's not like I've been playing in earnest the whole time. I ran away from it once too, so..." Ennoshita says.

"???" Kageyama, Hinata, and I cock our heads in confusion as we listen to their conversation.

"If you become stronger than the ace in both mind and body, then you'll be able to snatch the regular spot from Asahi! Got it?!" Nishinoya's roars at Ennoshita.

"Geh!" Ennoshita answers, overwhelmed by where the conversation is going. "You don't have to go that far..." Ennoshita tries to calm the situation.

"Oh, but the one who stole the regular spot from you before was Ryuu! Position-wise, that is!" Nishinoya announces out loud for Tanaka to hear.

"F-fine by me! Bring it on Ennoshitaaaa!!!!" Tanaka raises his fists up competitively.

"Nishinoya, that's enough. I'm begging you to stop already," Ennoshita covers Nishinoya's mouth to stop him from saying another word. Nishinoya always goes overboard, doesn't he? He's like a wild animal sometimes.

"Noya! You're too loud! I can hear you a mile away from here," Natsuki walks towards us, "how about you take all of your energy to the kitchen?" She pulls Nishinoya away from Ennoshita by the collar like a cat.

Ennoshita sighs in relief while Nishinoya scrambles to get out of her grasp. "You're not wrong about anything he just said though," she says in a barely audible whisper.

"Let me go!" Nishinoya yells and Natsuki releases him. She turns to all the second years along with Hinata and Kageyama. "Coach Ukai said to go set things up. So go do that. Ok?"

"Ok," They all loudly answer Natsuki. She's like a queen with such a penetrating aura like that... She's a scary person. I don't ever want to be enemies with her.

She pulls me along and puts me next to Nishinoya. I can feel his arm touch mine as we awkwardly stand next to each other. Nishinoya's face turns a light pink and he becomes a bit fidgety. Is he bothered by something I did today? He doesn't seem like his regular self.

"You two are in charge of the kitchen. Shimizu and Takeda-sensei can't cook for today. I hope you two can make decent food for dinner," Natsuki orders us and everyone leaves after hearing Natsuki's instructions.

"Natsuki, I'm not exactly a good--" I try to tell her how I'm not a good cook, but her piercing stare leaves me with no choice.

"Sakura, do you want to cook dinner with me?" Nishinoya asks me, nervously running his hand through his hair. My mom always told me to stay away from the kitchen...But if Nishinoya is there, then I guess my cooking can be better compared to how it usually is.

"Sure," I smile as I reply back.

He ruffles my hair happily. "This is going to be great!" Nishinoya squeals in joy when he hears my answer. "I'm a great cook," he grins, "meet ya there Sakura!" Nishinoya sprints to the kitchen.

"Whaaaaat?" I watch him zoom out of the gymnasium.

"This guy always blabbers loudly for the whole world to hear. I swear, he needs a dog's leash. Control him a bit, would you Sakura?" Natsuki sighs and turns to walk away.

"Natsuki, who else is coming to help in the kitchen?" I ask her. I need as much help as possible to make food for that many people on the team.

She stops walking and turns around. "It's just you two? There's not much you need to do to make the food, the recipes and supplies are all in the kitchen," Natsuki bluntly states,"Only two people are needed to make the food. Anyways, I'm going. See ya," She waves to me and puts her hands in her pocket.

I'm going to make terrible food. I pray that my cooking skills can become better in 10 minutes. Well, there is Nishinoya to help me....Only Nishinoya....Wait--just me and Nishinoya in a room by ourselves!?.... What?!