41. My Answer

Sakura POV

For my entire life, I always thought I was the extra girl. Back in middle school, Mihane would always be the one to receive confessions from boys, and I would be the girl who stood next to her. Like what Yachi would call it, I was a Person B. I didn't like anyone in a romantic way, and no one liked me in that way either.

Never in my life have I ever thought that I would be in this position with Noya. The one being confessed to, and not the other way around. When I started high school, I wanted to become a simple girl that no one would notice. Yet I made real friends, found someone I like, and right now I'm hearing Noya loudly yell out his confession in the Tokyo Skytower.

"I LOVE SAKURA!!!" Noya continuously shouts, attracting the attention of people around us. I stand there in shock with a bright red face not uttering a single word as I hear Noya shouting.

His confession echoes through my ears and my cheeks flush bright pink. I can't tell whether this is a dream. I always thought that he liked Shimizu, but I guess that wasn't the case. There were times I felt like he left subtle hints of liking me, but I assumed it was just Noya being Noya and that he would never actually think of me in a romantic way.

Nishinoya eventually stops shouting and turns to me. "I'm sorry for shouting my confession out loud to everyone here," he awkwardly scratches the back of his head with a small smile and bright pink cheeks, but his face turns serious, "I'm not joking about the confession though. I've always liked you Sakura, for a long time, but I always thought you had a boyfriend, so I never said anything." He pauses but looks me in the eye. "Sakura, you've always been by my side ever since I first met you. Just seeing you every day has always left me with a smile and a laugh," he grins with a thumbs up and I feel like my heart will burst out with all my feelings.

"Noya..." I try to clear up my dry throat. What can I say...? What should I say to him? The feelings are mutual, right...? I listen to my racing heart and find the feelings that have been buried deep inside of me. "Noya... I'm not Shimizu or anything, I'm just Sakura Hirai. I'm a regular girl who doesn't have any appeal and can't cook at all. Can you really be happy with me?" I question him and he ruffles my hair.

"That's why I like you Sakura, and only you. Everyone has their good and bad qualities. The serious face you make when you capture pictures with your camera, the smile you make when eating a lemon Garigari-kun popsicle, and the way you always support others when they need it the most. There's no one else like you out there," Noya tells me and takes something out of his pocket.

I stare at the bracelet that has sakura blossom charms on it. "N-Noya what is that?" I ask him, stuttering.

His face turns dark red and he tries to cover his face. "Um--It's for you," he says and nervously takes my hand. He puts it around my wrist and I watch him stumble putting it on. "I noticed it in the t-shirt shop, and I wanted to give it to you." He clicks the bracelet together. "I hope you like it," he tells me with a small smile. "You don't have to answer my confession right away," he quickly says with a forced smile. He turns around and starts walking to leave.

The courage he had when he confessed to me...Noya himself gave me so much courage and strength to keep going. He influences me in everything I do, and without him, I wouldn't be where I am now. Mihane said Noya is different from the people in middle school. She's right. Noya is different, but it's more than that. He's someone that I can always be with no matter what, and just being near him makes me happy.

I grit my teeth to keep my lips from quivering and clench my hands into fists. I'm nervous--so nervous, but I have to tell him. I'm going to regret it if I don't confess. I run to Noya and pull his arm. "Noya! I like you!" I shout with flushed cheeks, "I've always liked you too!" I know I'm probably attracting the attention of everyone in the room and I hate that, but I don't care, because right now all I can see is Noya.

Nishinoya POV

I catch Sakura's words and let it pass through my ears. "Wait--Sakura, say that again?" I say in shock hearing her words. I notice her shaking, but she repeats it again.

"I like you Noya!" Sakura shouts to me again.

"Really?!" I shout. I wasn't imagining it, she actually likes me back. She nods her head and I pump my fist. "Yes!" I yell in pure happiness and I lift her up.

"Waahh!!! Noya, what are you doing?!" she panics and I grin while holding her in the air. "You should put me down. I'm heavy!" she complains and I laugh.

"Sakura, you're as light as a feather," I merrily reassure her.

"Dang it," she mutters with completely red cheeks. "You're too happy Noya."

"Of course I'm happy Sakura!" I cry out. "Today is the best day of my life!" I spin her around joyfully.

"That's true," she quietly says. "I'm happy you like me," she tells me with a bright smile that makes my heart skip a beat. I quickly put her down then squat down with a burning face at her sudden adorable smile.

"Too cute," I mutter to myself and pull on my hair. If I stay here any longer I might want to kiss her...Damn it, but I just confessed to her too. If I do anything she'll probably think I'm a pervert. I yank my hair trying to calm myself.

"What's wrong Noya?" she asks in confusion.

"...Let's go back to the training camp," I say with a bright red face and hold out my hand to hers. She nervously takes my hand and entwines it with mine. The warmth of the small hand of hers around mine makes me smile. I'm glad I spoke out my true feelings for her. The two of us hold hands not as friends, but as a couple and leave the Tokyo Skytower to go back to the camp.