Chapter 1 - Maddy

Brooklyn, 1945

I awake to see my alarm clock ticking past midnight. "Dammit!" I yell out as I jump up from my bed. I am beyond late for work. I walk down the hall of my apartment to the bathroom. As I turn on the light I look into the mirror to see my reflection looking back at me. "Oh boy," I say as I try to tame my wild raven black hair with my fingers. I quickly put on makeup and some rose red lipstick. Then I turn and quickly make my way back to my bedroom to finish getting dressed. I pull a bright red dress out of my closet and walked over to my standing mirror and hold it up to see how it looks. I smile as I quickly change clothes. I look over at a picture frame sitting on my nightstand and smile. I zip up my dress and then reach down and pick it up.

I smile as I see my friends Steve and Bucky standing on each side of me. Bucky had his arm wrapped around my shoulders and was placing a soft kiss on my cheek. Bucky was one of the most handsome men I had ever met, his dark brown hair neatly combed over. Steve on the other hand was handsome to me. Fate had decided to give him the short stick, literally. Poor Steve was short, asthmatic, easily sick, and girls never gave him the time of the day. I had secretly harbored a crush for Steve for the past few years we had known each other. Steve's sandy hair was combed over neatly to reveal his handsome face. I quickly shake my head and set my picture back down on the nightstand.

I walk to my door and reach down and lace up my black heels and quickly head to work. I leave my apartment and start walking down the street toward my job. I look into my purse and see that I don't have enough money for a cab and sigh. 'It's midnight in New York, what's the worst that could happen?' I say to myself as hurriedly make my way to work. I decide to take some back alleys so I would make it there faster. As I near my job I hear a commotion up ahead of me. "You just don't know when to give up, do you?" I hear someone say and I peer around the corner to see two men fighting. "I can do this all day." I know that voice. I start to move toward them when I see Bucky grab the guy, punch him in the jaw then tell him to get lost.

"Sometimes I think you like getting hit." Steve smiled and said, "I had him on the ropes." Bucky leans down and picks something up from the ground. "How many times is this?" he says as he opens the folder. "Ah, you're from Paramus now. You know it's illegal to lie on your enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?" I watch as Steve looks Bucky up and down and says, "Did you get orders?" Bucky smiled and said, "The one-o-seventh. Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping for England first thing tomorrow." Steve looked down at his folder and said, "I should be going." Bucky lays a hand on his shoulder and says, "Come on, man! It's my last night. Gotta get you cleaned up." Steve looks up at Bucky and says, "Why? Where are we going?" Bucky hands Steve a newspaper as he says, "The Future."

They start to walk away and I reveal myself saying, "How about you escort a gal to work first." They both turn and smile when they see me. Then Steve's smile fades as he says, "How long you been standing there?" I walk up to him and say, "Long enough, Steve why don't you just stay here with me? I know how much you want to serve you country but," I look up at Bucky for help but he just throws his hands into the air as if to say, I'm not in this. "I respect you trying to help me Maddy, but I want to serve." I half smile and say, "I know Steve, I guess I'm being greedy. Trying to keep you all to myself." Steve lets out a small laugh and then I take their arms and say, "Now gentlemen, shall we?"