Chapter 15 - Short farwell

"How are you feeling?" Howard asks as he walks over to me. 

"I feel fine Howard, maybe just a little bit hungry." 

He smiles and says, "I'll go make you some soup. Stark style." I let out a loud laugh. He smiles back at me and then kneels down and kisses me on the lips. I feel the fire start to rise deep inside of me and I reach up and pull him in to deepen our kiss. Howard lets his hand down to explore my body. Before we could go any further Howard pulls away and says, "Soup first Maddy," and then he leaves. I reach my closed hand up to my face and open it to see a solid gold ring. I kiss it then stand up and walk over to my vanity and look for my chain necklace that also carries my mother's wedding ring on it. I slide Steve's ring over the end then slip it over my head onto my neck.

Then I walk back over to my bed and slide back into it, where I quickly fall asleep. When I awoke Howard and Steve were getting ready to walk out the door. "Hey!" I say as I run down the stairs and hug them both at the same time. "You boys weren't going to leave without saying goodbye to me were you?" They both hugged me tightly back. I pull away and smile up into their faces. 

"Wouldn't have dreamed of it Maddy," Howard said as he kissed my cheek. I smiled up at Steve to see him smiling back down at me. Howard walks over to me and hugs me tightly as he says, "Take care Maddy, we'll be home as soon as the wars over." 

I smile as I say, "Well then it better end soon." Howard kisses me one last time on the lips then turns and walks out the door. 

Steve lingers behind as he says, "Maddy, take care of yourself, I'll be back soon." Then he kisses my cheek and leaves. As they drive away I feel my eyes start to fill with tears and I pray, "God please bring them all back home to me safe and sound." Then I close the door.