Chapter 32 - Asgardians

I quickly run over and strap a parachute to myself and say, "Nat, turn around. Take me back to them."

 "Maddy, I don't think that's a good idea." 

"Please Nat, just do it!" she nods and turns around I can see and hear the fighting below me and I jump. When I reach them I see Thor rush toward Steve and I start to rush toward them. Thor's hammer collides with Steve's shield which results in a loud bell ring. My ear's start to ring but I can't stop I run out and throw myself between Steve and Thor. 

"Thor Stop!" I say lifting my wrist up to him to reveal the crystal bracelet. He stops and looks into my eyes, "Maddy?" he says dropping his hammer. Tears start to feel my eyes as I remove my mask and nod. He turns from me and I follow his gaze to Loki. I see him sitting on the cliff staring down in amazement. My raven hair flowing in the wind I turn toward Steve to see him staring at me in confusion and anger. 

"Thor please retrieve Loki, we will discuss everything back at base." He nods and grabs his hammer and retrieves Loki. 

"What is this?" Tony says as he removes his face cover. 

"Nat we're ready for extraction." I say into my head piece. 

"Yes ma'am on my way." When Nat arrived we quickly boarded the jet and set off back to the Helicarrier. I sat by myself looking down at my hands when Thor walked over and sat beside me.

"My dearest Madeline, how has thee been?" 

I look up into his bright blue eyes and said, "Thor, I have missed you and Loki. There hasn't been a day I haven't thought about you or papa Odin. Life on Midgard is hard, it's been exceptionally hard here as of late." 

He hugs me and says, "Maddy, I am deeply sorry that your life hasn't been fair." I smile and hug him back. 

"So you're our dear sweet Maddy?" I hear Loki say and I turn to face him.

"Yes Loki."

 He smiles a vicious smile and says, "So you're the Maddy Barton told me about." 

I quickly jump up and say, "Loki, give up Barton! You have no use for him. Give me back my friend!"

 "Why should I?" 

Thor stands up and grabs my arm before I can hit him. "Loki, stop antagonizing Maddy!"

 I jerk my arm out of Thor's grip and walk over until my face is in Loki's and say, "And to think I used to be in love with you!" I quickly turn and walk back to the back of the plane and set down. When we reach the Helicarrier I escort Thor to the bridge then stand in the corner fuming with anger. I watch the monitor as Fury talks to Loki. "In case it's unclear, you try to escape you so much as scratch that glass, Thirty-thousand feet straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works. Ant," he points to Loki then back at the controls and says, "Boot." Loki laughs and then says, "It's an impressive cage, not built I think for me." 

"It was built for something a lot stronger than you." 

"Oh I've heard the mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man." We all look at Banner. He just brushes us off and looks back down at the monitor. "How desperate are you that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?" 

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war, you steal a force you can't hope to control, you talk about peace and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did." 

"Oh, it burns you to have come so close, to have the Tesseract to have power, unlimited power, and for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is."

 Fury smirks and turns away saying "Well let me know if real power wants a magazine or something?"

 "Actually, I would like to have a word with Maddy." Fury turns and says, "That's out of the question." Then he turns and leaves and the monitors turn off. I look over to see Steve looking at me with a pained expression on his face. I quickly look away and turn my attention to Thor. 

"He really grows on you doesn't he?" Banner jokes to ease the tension in the room. 

"Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor what's his play?" Steve says taking his eyes off me. 

"He has an army; called the 'Chittari' they are not of Asgard or any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth in return I suspect for the Tesseract." Steve looks at me and says, "An army, from outer space." Banner chimes in saying, "So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Eric Selvig for."

 "Selvig?" Thor says as he looks around.

 "He's an astrophysicist."

 "He's a friend." 

"Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours." Nat says looking at me. 

"I wonder why Loki let us take him; he's not leading an army from here." Steve says as he looks at Banner. 

 "I don't think we should be focusing on Loki, that guy's brain is a bag of cats you can smell crazy off him." I start to say something but then Thor says, "Have care what you speak, Loki is beyond reason but he is of Asgard, and he is my brother." 

"He killed eighty people in two days." Nat says not looking up from her hands. "He's adopted." Thor says and I turn toward him in shock. I hear banner say something then Tony walks into the room with Coulson and my brain goes dead. I excuse myself and walk out of the room and down to the gym.