Chapter 6 - So close but yet so far

He stops and turns toward me. "What?"

I run up to him and say, "Steve Rogers, I love you. I loved you before and I love you now. I didn't realize it until you were walking away. Steve I don't want to lose you again." He stood there speechless. I couldn't help myself, I reached up and pulled his lips down to mine. His lips were soft and gentle on mine. I reach my hands back and entwine them in his hair. I feel his hands reach up and tighten around my waist. I pull away but keep our foreheads together. Our breath is heavy. I smile when I realize my feet aren't touching the ground anymore. "So what was it you wanted to ask me?" I say as he slowly sets me back down on the ground. 

"I think I got my answer." He says as he leans back down and kisses me again.

This time his kiss was deeper and more sensual. A few moments he pulls away and he holds my hand as he leads me back to the station. I lay my head on his shoulder and intertwine my fingers with his. After we get off the train he walks me home. I felt completely happy. As we turned the corner I saw a black car sitting outside my apartment building. Steve tensed next to me as we crossed the street. When we reached the car the door opened and Howard stepped out. 

"Howard?" I said as he stood before us. 

"Mr. Stark." Steve said as he let go of me and held out his hand to Howard. Howard smiled and took it. 

"Captain," he said then he turned toward me and smiled brightly. "Hi Maddy."

I smiled back at him and said, "Hello Howard."

Steve quickly releases me and says, "I can tell you have a lot to catch up on. Stark I'll see you later. Bye Maddy." My heart screams out to my head to not let him go. 

"Steve, will you come by the club tomorrow?" He smiles and nods as he walks away. 

"Maddy, I missed you so much." Howard says as he walks up and hugs me tightly. I take in his cologne and my heart clenches. "Come, I want to show you something." He opens the car door I step inside and slide all the way over so he could sit next to me. He slides in next to me and grabbing my hand he says, "Driver." 

"Yes sir," I hear the driver say from the front seat and we surge into traffic.

"Maddy, I am so sorry I wasn't able to call or see you. They had us under strict restrictions." I look into his brown eyes and all of the old feelings start to pile up inside me again. I hold Howard's hand in mine and use the quiet time in the car to think about everything.