Chapter 12 - Tied to the Ocean

Steve's POV

Steve had noticed that Maddy was feeling left out and ignored but his anger about her living with Howard had taken over. He didn't care anymore. He watched her excuse herself and walk over to her friend at the bar. Steve kept himself buried in conversation with Peggy and Howard. Every once in a while he would glance Maddy's way. He looked over one last time and saw she was gone; he looked around for her but to no avail. 

"Well gentlemen I must go, I have a busy day tomorrow." 

Steve smiled down at her, "Goodnight Peggy." He and Howard said in unison. 

When Peggy was gone Howard said, "Well Rogers, I guess it's time for me to leave too. Do you see Maddy?" they both look around but don't see her. "Where could she be?" Howard said as he walks back toward where Mac was standing. Steve looks back and sees her blonde friend still standing at the bar and makes his way over there. "Excuse me, can you tell me where I can find Maddy?"

The blonde woman looks up at him and says, "Who wants to know?"

 "Look I know Maddy has talked to you about me now can you just tell me where I can find her? Please?" 

The blonde looked down into her beer and said, "She left a little while ago. She wasn't feeling well." He smiles down and says thank you as he turns and heads over to Stark. 

"Ok thank you." Stark says to the balding man in a tuxedo. "It seems she left a while ago she wasn't feeling well." 

Steve nods and then says, "Well I guess I better leave too. See you Stark." They wave back and forth to each other as they go their separate ways. Steve looks up into the sky and suddenly has the urge to go to the ocean. He slowly makes his way thru the city until he sees a familiar looking vehicle setting by the boardwalk. As he nears it Howard steps out and looks at him with a dark expression on his face. "What are you doing here?" he asks as he closes his car door behind him. 

"I just had a sudden urge to see the water, and you?" 

 Howard looked down at the water then back at Steve and said, "I was on my way home to Maddy when I saw her walking on the side of the road, I called out to her but I guess she didn't hear me. She just kept walking. I decided to follow her and I followed her here." Howard then points to the sandy shore, and you could see Maddy's silver gown shinning in the moonlight.

"When I saw you coming here as well, I'm not going to lie I got mad. Thought you two were meeting secretly behind my back." 

Steve's body tensed and he let out a week laugh, "No, just good enough friends to have the same thought." Howard laughs back at him and Steve relaxes. They turn their attention back to Maddy's walking form. 

All of the sudden Maddy falls to the sand and screams out at the ocean. They were too far back to hear what exactly she was saying but he could tell she was crying. Then she stands and looks around her and then steps into the cold water. "What is she doing? It's freezing out here!" Howard said as he started to make his way down to the beach. Steve froze he didn't know what to do. As soon as Maddy went underwater and didn't come back up he found himself running like a mad man toward the end of the boardwalk and jumped off into the water.

The cold water felt like a slap in his face. He looked around under the water for her until he finally saw her shinning silver dress, fading to the bottom. He dove toward her only to see her sleeping form welcoming the cold embrace of the water, like she wanted to die. He quickly shook his head and dived deeper to rescue her from herself. Her hand was reaching up toward him so he grabbed it and held her body close to his as he resurfaced. He quickly made his way back to the shore carefully holding her. 

Howard was waiting on the water's edge for them with his coat off ready to wrap it around her body. Steve laid her body down in the sand and started giving her CPR. Her lips were blue and cold to the touch, but that wouldn't stop him from saving her. 

"Maddy wake up! Please!" Steve yelled down at her. Howard was sitting on the other side of her holding her hand. 

"Maddy please open your eyes." Howard was pleading as his grip on her hand tightened. Steve was about to give up when Maddy's eyes flashed open. 

 "Maddy?" he said looking down into her beautiful blue eyes.