Chapter 26 - Mutants

Maddy's POV

I watched as Coulson emerged with Miss Potts. I opened my door and I and Steve hopped out to help her with her stuff. "Good evening Miss Potts." I say as I reach out to shake her hand. "Nice to see you again too Maddy." She says as she hugs me. I stiffen and feel a sudden twinge of panic. I look ever at Steve to see what his facial expression was and it looked like he hadn't heard. I sighed and hugged her back. "We are giving Miss Potts a lift, won't take too long." Phil says as he and Steve help her into the car. "Pepper this is Steve Rogers. Steve this is Pepper Potts CEO of Stark enterprises." I say as we pull away and surge into traffic. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Rogers." 

"Pleasures all mine Miss Potts." Coulson catches my eye and he has me look down at my phone. I see a text message and I open it. "Maddy, Fury wants Stark to join the initiative." My eyes widen with panic. I look up at him and mouth "What!" he nods and I take a deep breath.

A sudden ping of rage starts to course threw my body. "Driver please pull over." I say as I reach forward and grab my suitcase. "Addie, what's wrong?" Steve says and I turn to look at him. My eyes start to change colors from their beautiful blue to gold. "Steve, agent Coulson will escort you; I need to make a quick pit stop." Steve looks at me but doesn't push the issue further and nods. He lays a hand on mine and I say, "It's okay Rogers, I will meet you at your destination." The car stops and I climb out Coulson close behind me. He touches my shoulder and I turn. 

"Maddy, hand me the suitcase, you'll make it to the helicarrier faster without it." I look down at my suitcase and sigh. Nodding I hand it to him and say, "Please apologize to Pepper for me, and tell Steve I'll see him soon." He nods then climbs back into the car and they drive away. I feel the familiar feeling of my wings expanding and I smile. I launch myself into the sky and head toward the Helicarrier.

As I soar through the sky I remember how I came to acquire my wings. Magneto had captured me while I was looking for my brother and injected me with a serum that magnified my mutated DNA, causing me to grow wings and heightened my senses. You could say he did me favor. I take a deep breath as I see the helicarrier. When I land I see director Fury waitin for me. My wings disappear as I make my way over to him. "What the hell are you thinking?" 

"Agent Howlett, last time I checked you were still an agent. Now what are you so upset about?"

 A ball of fire starts to form in my hand as I say, "Why did you not tell me you were recruiting my son?" He steps back and places a hand on his gun.

 "Maddy, calm down. That's an order."

 My hair starts to fly around me, "Tell me why and I'll calm down!" I say as my eyes turn red with anger. 

"Maddy, Stark is the smartest man on the planet other than Banner, we need him." I clench my fist making the fireball disappear. 

"For the good of the world I'll postpone my rage. But this isn't over Nick." I turn and right as I start to walk away the jets carrying Nat, Banner, Coulson, and Steve land. I turn back to see that fury is already gone.