Chapter 23 - Hawkeye

When I finally make it to the deck Fury is there waiting for me. "Agent Howlett, How is Rogers doing?"

 "Very well sir." 

"Good, has he recognized you yet?"

 "No sir." I watched as Fury closed the distance between us. 

"Maddy, you're like a daughter to me if you are uncomfortable about this just say something."

 I let out a small giggle and say, "You do realize I am older than you so me being your daughter in theoretically impossible."

 Fury's face turns stern as he says; "Now I know where Stark gets his mouth." 

I stare at him in shock, "I would appreciate it sir, if you would not talk about my personal affairs so freely." I could tell he saw my anger in my eyes. 

"Maddy, he needs to know the truth." 

I turn and start to walk away, "Director I will tell my son the truth when I decide he's ready." Fury nods and I walk away. I quickly make my way to the locker room and change into my sparing suit and reach for my cell phone. "Hello?" 

"Hey Nat, got a minute?" 

"For you sure." I hear her let out a laugh as she says it. 

I smile as I say, "Thanks, meet you in the sparing room in ten." 

"Ok see ya." I quickly hang up my phone and make my way to the sparing room. When I make it through the door I see Agent Barton doing some target practice.

"Hey Clint!" I say really loud trying to break his concentration. But like always it doesn't bother him. "Hey Maddy," I hear him say calmly as he releases the string of his bow sending an arrow flying through the air. I smile as it hit the target dead center. 

He turns and smiles at me, "Nice shot. I bet you I can slice your arrow in half without looking." 

He smiles and says, "Oh really how much?" 

I narrow my eyes as I say, "If I miss you get to take me out on a date." 

He smiles and folds his arms over his chest as he says, "And if you make it?"

 I smile sheepishly as I say, "You have to tell Fury you want in on the Avengers Initiative." 

His smile fades as he says, "Maddy, did Fury put you up to this?" 

I slowly walk over and put on my best seductive play. Reaching up and gently touching his chest I say, "I just don't want to be the only one." I bat my eyelashes and lean into him. He clenches his jaw and I can tell his breathing has quickened.

I lean my face down but before our lips meet I reach into my belt and pull out one of my throwing knives and throw it at the target without looking. I smile as he doesn't even notice I threw my knife till I say, "Sucker." I step back and folding my arms over my chest say, "I guess this means you're the newest avenger, 'Hawkeye'" he turns and looks back at the target and smiles. 

"You play dirty." He says as he walks down the range to his target. I hear a laugh behind me and I turn to see Nat standing there laughing at us. 

"Will you two ever learn to play fair with each other?" she says walking over to me. 

I smile and shake my head, "What's the fun in that?"

 "So what did you need to see me about?" 

my smile fades and I say, "How about a few rounds?" Without asking anything else she nods and I take my frustration out as we spar. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days past and Steve hardly ever left the gym. Every time I would return home I would find him in the gym beating the crap out of some of the punching bags. Joey had about seven lined up beside Steve for when he broke them, which happened a lot. As the weeks past Steve and I got closer to each other. Talking about a lot of the troubles he had on his mind. Everything was going good till I hear my phone.

My phone rings and I answer it, "Hello?" 

"Maddy, this is director Fury, where is Rogers?"

 I straighten as I say, "He's here sir." 

"Good I'll be right there, don't move something has happened. I'll brief you when I get there." 

"Yes sir." I say as I hang up my phone. 

"What is it Addie?" Steve asks as I look down at my phone. 

"That was Director Fury; he's on his way here." Steve nods as he stands and walks over to a punching bag and starts to punch it. I take my leave and make my way to the door to wait for Fury. 

When he arrives he says, "Where's Rogers?" 

"Inside sir, may I ask what happened?" I look past him to see agent Hill. 

"Hill will brief you about the incident; I must have a word with Rogers." I nod and then stand completely still as he walks past me. 

"Maddy, why don't I brief you while you pack a bag." I nod and she follows me upstairs. I sit wide eyed as she tells me about Loki and the Tesseract.