Chapter 20 - A One night Stand

Maddy's POV

"Howard?" I say as I see him. I see that although twenty eight years have passed he still looks great for his age. I go to say something else when he bursts threw my door and pulls me into a deep passionate kiss. I feel then familiar felling of ecstasy start to build in my body and I pull away. "What are you doing?" I say as I take a step back into my hotel room. 

"Maddy, why did you leave?!" I open my mouth but stop myself. 

"Howard I don't want to talk about this right now. Please either come in peacefully or go home." I watch as he looks down at his feet and then steps inside my room. I walk over to my bed and sit down and pat the seat next to me. 

He sets down and we sit there for a moment before he says, "You look good Maddy," 

I smile and say, "You too Howard."

 I look over at him and say, "Howard I am sorry for leaving. I was in a bad place mentally and I didn't want to put you through that. You are too good a man for that." 

Still not looking up at me he says, "But I'm not too good to stay with and try to work things out."

I panic and say, "That's not what I meant." 

He stands up frustrated and turns toward me and says, "Maddy, when you left I lost it. I spent all my time looking for Rogers for you because I knew if I found him you would come back. Maddy, you say you were in a bad way, why didn't you let me help you?"

 I look down and realize that I did something worse than anything anyone else could have done to him. I stand and walk over to him. "Howard, I guess when I left I was only thinking about myself, I wasn't thinking about the repercussions. I know I could say sorry and it wouldn't be enough. I just wish there was something I could do." Howard looks deep into my eyes and I feel the tension between us start to pull us together. "Howard, I..." 

Our lips meet in a fiery passion. I feel his hands wrap around my waist and push me back onto the bed. We made love and then he fell asleep on my arms. I run my hand through his hair as he sleeps. My mind drifts back to happier times when we were together. Howard stirs on my chest causing his facial hair to tickle my chest, I smile and burry my face in his hair and fall asleep.

When I wake Howard is gone. I look around to see if I had dreamt the whole encounter. I find a note on his pillow saying,

Maddy,
I hate that you won't tell me why you left. I loved you with every fiber of my being but you left. I tried for years to find you. Why did you come back now? I don't think I can be around you anymore. Yesterday was amazing and I'm glad I got to show you how much I loved you. Please, move on with your life and I will with mine. Maddy, I love you and I always will; I just can't be with someone who's not honest with me. I left a gift for you on your dresser, I figured now would be the perfect time to return them to you. I love you Maddy. I wish you a long and healthy life. Goodbye.
Yours truly
Howard A Stark

Tears start to fall from my eyes as I stand up and walk over to my dresser. I immediately see my mother's wedding ring and Steve's golden band. I hold them tight to my chest and take a deep breath. I will not let this hurt me. He has every right to be this way. "Thank you Howard." I say as I quickly get dressed and head to work.