Chapter 27 - Addie is Maddie

Steve's POV

He tightened his fists as they drove away from Addie. They quickly dropped Pepper off then boarded the jet. Steve pulls out the debriefing tablet and turns it on as he sits down. When he goes to look at it Addie's silver briefcase catches his eye. He looks up to see Coulson talking to the pilot. He slowly sneaks over and grabs the suitcase and pulling it into his lap he opens it. His jaw drops as he glances down at the pictures. He picks one up and his eyes start to tear up. The picture is of Maddy, Bucky, and him. Then the sudden realization hits him. Addie is Maddy; he mentally slaps himself. Why didn't she say anything? He makes a mental note to talk to her about it when he sees her again. He continues to look through the pictures and sees a bunch of a child playing with Howard and another woman. Then he sees it, a birth certificate. Howard is the father and Maddy is the Mother.

As he continues to read he sees that their child's name is Anthony. He remembers seeing the name Anthony somewhere before but he can't remember where. He continues looking through the pictures smiling as he remembers the days when he was still little and friends with Maddy. He sees Coulson start to turn from the pilot and quickly closes the briefcase and sets it back where it was. Then he grabs the device and turns it on to see Dr. Banner's personal file. As Coulson nears Steve says, "So this Dr. Banner was trying to recreate the serum used on me?" 

"A lot of people were, you were the world's first superhero. Banner thought Gamma radiation might have held the key to Erskine's original formula." 

"Didn't really go his way did it?"

 "Not so much. When he's not that thing though the guy's like a 'Steven Hawking'" Steve looks up at him confused. "He's a really smart person." Steve nods then looks back down at the packet. "I gotta say it; it's an honor to meet you officially. I sort of met you I mean I watched you why you were sleeping." Steve suddenly feels uncomfortable and stands and walks over to where the pilots are. "I mean I was present while you were unconscious from the ice. You know it's really just a huge honor to have you on board with us." 

"I hope I'm the man for the job." 

"Oh you are absolutely. Um we made some modifications to the uniform, I had a little design input." Steve quickly turns and says, "A uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little old fashion?" 

"Everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light; people might just need a little old fashion." 

Steve nods and then walks back over and sits down. He closes his eyes and quickly drifts off to sleep. "Steve!" he opens his eyes to see Maddy's smiling face peering down from her family's' country house balcony. He smiles and waves back up at her. "Maddy!" he yells up to her and she jumps off her balcony landing softly beside him. "Why didn't you tell me you were Addie?" he says to her. "I have my reasons Steve. Maybe you should ask her." She says as she points past him toward Peggy. Steve's heart start to race as she smiles at him, but instead of running to her he turns and looks back down into Maddy's beautiful greyish blue eyes and sighs. "Maddy, what did I do? I don't understand why you push me away; all I wanted was to be with you. Why did you write that letter?" All that Maddy does is smile. Steve smiles as he remembers he's dreaming. He turns toward her and leans down and kisses her. He feels her arms wrap around his neck deepening their kiss. 

A sudden jolt drags him out of his dream and back to the real world. "We're about to land captain." Coulson says as he walks back to the exit holding Maddy's briefcase. Steve takes a deep breath as he stands and follows him. When the jet lands Steve steps out to see Maddy standing there waiting for them. Steve takes a deep breath and says to himself, 'I will ask her why she changed her mind.' He did have to admit the last seventy years were really good to her.